Global Alliance for Sustainable Feminist Movements
The Global Alliance for Sustainable Feminist Movements is an emerging multi-stakeholder initiative focused on exponentially increasing, sustaining, and improving financial and political support for women’s rights and feminist organizations and movements. Announced at the Generation Equality Forum (GEF) in July 2021, a collaborative design process is being led by a Planning Group that consists of the following partners Canada, Netherlands, Ford Foundation, Hewlett Foundation, Gender Funders Co-Lab, the Association for Women’s Rights in Development (AWID) / Count Me In! Consortium (CMI!), Realizing Sexual and Reproductive Justice (RESURJ), Global Fund for Women, the Equality Fund, PROSPERA, Urgent Action Fund Africa, Women’s Fund Asia (WFA), and Fondo Semillas.
AWID is holding the Interim Secretariat function for the Global Alliance, until a final secretariat is agreed upon.
Why a Global Alliance for Sustainable Feminist Movements?
- Because we recognize the power and impact of feminist movements and want to see them funded and supported in a way that acknowledges their capacity and central role in advancing and sustaining all aspects of gender equality work at local, regional, and global levels. While the Global Alliance will take on an advocacy role to increase the number and diversity of funders supporting feminist movements, funds, and organizations, it is not envisioned as a pooled funding mechanism, nor will it administer funds.
- Because it’s not just about quantity of funding, but quality – in other words flexible, multi-year core support directly to feminist change-makers. Many funders struggle to provide this kind of support and we believe a cross-sectoral community of exchange, learning and peer support can help funders shift their modalities to more effectively support feminist movements and achieve the kinds of impacts they’re looking for.
- Because whether civil society or government, funder or grantee, we will be stronger when we come together to increase and improve support for feminist movements, with space to learn from and understand each other, to raise our voices around shared demands, and in disagreement when we must, to help us all do better. The Global Alliance is the only space of its kind at the global level that aims to function with a co-leadership model across these various sectors to strengthen political and financial support for feminist movements.
What’s the status of the Global Alliance design process?
- There is a vibrant group of over 100 institutions and organizations taking part in the Global Alliance Reference Group. Reference Group members participate in occasional surveys and on-line consultations to provide input and feedback about the design of the Global Alliance (its goals, priorities, governance and accountability mechanisms).
- Consultations with the Reference Group are ongoing and focus on issues, such as governance, programs, and values. Reports of the consultation will be displayed here as they become available.
Report #2: Kick-off meeting report and survey results.
Report #3:Clarifying our Purpose, Charting the Way Forward.
- Based on the inputs from the consultative design process, the Global Alliance for Sustainable Feminist Movements aims to launch its pilot operational form by mid 2022.
How can I get involved in the Global Alliance for Sustainable Feminist Movements?
If you would like to participate in the design process for the Global Alliance that is already underway, join the Reference Group
Click to join
If you have specific questions about the Global Alliance for Sustainable Feminist Movements, email us.