Virginia State Manager
Deadline: Until filled
Location: Fairfax, VA, USA
Organization: National Latina Institute for Reproductive Justice
The Latina Institute seeks a Virginia State Manager. We are looking for a committed individual who is passionate about raising the voices of Latina/xs in Virginia for change on issues that impact their lives, their dignity, and their health through grassroots organizing and policy advocacy.
Reporting to the National Director of Field and Advocacy, the Latina Institute Virginia State Manager will co-develop and help implement the strategy for the state to expand the grassroots movement for reproductive justice in Virginia, focused in Fairfax County. They will oversee the day-to-day operations; manage the organizing, leadership development, and advocacy efforts; serve as the primary spokesperson for the state work; and cultivate and build relationships with key local and state stakeholders, partners, and elected officials.
Candidates must have experience in developing and managing teams, day-to-day operations, community/issue-based organizing and campaigns, and a commitment to reproductive health and rights and/or social justice issues.
- Develops and implements, in coordination with the National Field and Advocacy Director and state team, state and local campaigns
Operations management and oversight:
- Manage budget and financial materials to ensure ongoing operations;
- Collaborate with the Operations department to support state operations and infrastructure;
Monitor and report on program expenditures; and
- Collaborate with the Development department to support fundraising efforts
Staff management and oversight:
- Oversee 2 to 4 staff in Fairfax County and seasonally in Richmond;
- Monitor and report progress on state and local strategy goals;
- Establish, communicate, and evaluate progress towards goals and benchmarks;
- Manage staff in their efforts to develop leaders in targeted communities, conduct civic and voter engagement activities including running a canvass and/or phone bank, outreach to elected official(s), and launch issue-based and community education campaigns, etc; and assess and evaluate staffing needs and growth
Supports the organizing and advocacy efforts by:
- Collaborating with state and national team members to train and amplify the skills of our activists through community health and political education, leadership development, and civic and voter engagement tools and tactics;
- In close partnership with the Director of Field and Advocacy, oversees the creation of the local and state policy agenda, campaigns or initiatives;
- Coordinating with state and national team members to plan civic and voter engagement efforts and campaigns that align with the state and national strategy; and
- Assessing areas to deepen and/or cultivate base-building efforts.
Serve as the Latina Institute Virginia primary spokesperson:
- Works with communication team on media and communications opportunities; and
- Works with the communications team to employ social media and other tools to reach our base.
- Pursue strategic leadership positions in target coalition and partner spaces, where the reproductive justice and the Latina Institute state perspective can be uplifted and engaged;
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with community partners and organizational allies.
- Works with the Community Mobilization, Government Relations and Communications team in national efforts and campaigns.
- At least two years of management and political organizing with demonstrated responsibility at state or national level
- Strong interpersonal skills including an ability to foster teamwork and to motivate a wide variety of individuals and stakeholders
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; strong presentation and public speaking skills in English and Spanish, required
- Experience working with communities of color and immigrant communities
- Strategic and tactical thinker with demonstrated leadership, problem-solving, and creative skills
- Ability to manage multiple campaigns at once and to prioritize appropriately
- Must have a valid driver’s license and preferable own transportation
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment with multiple deadlines
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office, database management/web/online tools, and social media/new media technologies; as well civic engagement tools i.e. the Voter Activation Network (VAN), Salesforce, EveryAction, etc
- Familiarity with 501(c)3 and 501(c)4 nonprofit regulations
- A working understanding of the structure of the state; knowledge of the state civic and political landscape
- This position requires 30-40% travel.
How to apply:
Please send your resume, cover letter, and a brief writing sample (2-3 pages) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include in the subject line: Applicant – Latina Institute Virginia State Manager