UN Programme & Advocacy Internship - ILGA
This is an exciting internship with ILGA, the world association of more than 1200 LGBTI (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex) members’ organizations.
The intern will provide assistance to ILGA’s United Nations Programme & Advocacy (Universal Periodic Review, Human Rights Council and Sustainable Development Goals).
It is an excellent opportunity for somebody who has an interest in human rights and LGBTI issues and wants to gain experience in working on them within the framework of the United Nations human rights mechanisms. The internship is for a period of seven months, commencing on 3 September 2018 and ending on 3 April 2018. The exact working hours and dates can be flexible, but a candidate should be available to work full-time (37.5 hours/week).
- Drafting reports for Human Rights Council sessions, and the Universal Periodic Review Working Group sessions
- Compiling recommendations made during the UPR Working Group sessions
- Support the Autumn and Winter SOGIESC UPR Advocacy weeks
- Supporting notification of ILGA members on the upcoming deadlines and opportunities related to the UPR
- Providing technical support to defenders engaging with the Universal Periodic Review
- Attending, either in person or virtually, Human Rights Council and Universal Periodic Review sessions
- Support research on follow-up and implementation of UPR recommendations
- Support research on the Sustainable Development Goals
- Assisting ILGA’s UN Programme staff in the development of new activities
- Carrying out organizational and administrative tasks together with other UN Programme staff members.
- Background through study, work or other experience in the UN System (at least basic understanding of the UN mechanisms)
- Particular interest on LGBTI/SOGIESC issues
- Strong analytical skills
- Highly organized
- Excellent level of written and good level of spoken English.
- A relevant Bachelor’s, master’s or equivalent degree
- Experience of direct engagement with the UN UPR, SDGs or HRC
- Experience of paid or non-paid work with local human rights LGBTI organizations
- Other UN language skills (French, Arabic, Chinese and/or Russian).
- This is a virtual internship
- The intern will be expected to work from their current location
- The intern will receive a stipend of CHF 500 per month for the duration of the internship
- The successful intern will have opportunities to work with representatives of LGBTI organisations from around the world and other NGOs virtually and/or in Geneva.
- Due recognition in publications and activities which the intern has contributed to.
How to apply:
Candidates meeting the requirements are invited to complete the application form.
Closing date for receipt of applications by email to email@example.com: Sunday 19 August 2018, 5:00 PM (Central European Summer Time).