Technical Advisor I - Gender
Deadline: Until filled
Location: Washington, USA
Jhpiego is an international non-profit health organization affiliated with the Johns Hopkins University. For over 40 years, Jhpiego has empowered frontline health workers by designing and implementing effective, low-cost solutions to strengthen the delivery of health care services for women and their families.
Jhpiego is looking for a highly motivated and dynamic individual to fill the position of Sr. Technical Advisor I for Gender. The Sr. Technical Advisor I will strengthen health systems, services, and uptake of reproductive, maternal, newborn and child health (RMNCH), HIV services and other Jhpiego programs. This position is focused on developing, integrating and documenting strategies to address gender issues related to delivery and uptake of health services, especially, respectful care, gender-based violence, male norms and engagement in RMNCH, and promoting gender equity in the health workforce.
The Sr. Technical Advisor I will provide technical support to country programs and ensure quality technical assistance is provided to achieve maximum impact. S/he will support capacity building in technical approaches and will lead the development and implementation of selected work-plan activities. The Technical Advisor II will represent Jhpiego externally to expand Jhpiego’s reputation as a technical leader in gender to foster new relationships and develop new program opportunities.
- Provide quality technical assistance to country programs.
- Support capacity building, coaching and mentoring of staff and local partners on gender integration, male engagement and gender-based violence by developing learning activities and materials to support capacity building. Contribute to staff orientation and technical updates to ensure staff possess excellent knowledge of technical area and approaches.
- Facilitate sensitization dialogues on gender.
- Contribute to the knowledge base, communication priorities and materials development by participating in the development, writing and editing of content for products, presentations and other materials. Help identify and document technical and programmatic successes, challenges and lessons learned.
- Adaptation of social and behavior change communication and group education materials that seek to transform norms on gender and gender-based violence to ensure they are gender-sensitive and transformative.
- Adapt and/or review trainings for health providers on issues such as respectful care, gender sensitive health service delivery, gender-based violence and engaging men in health to ensure that they align with global and Jhpiego standards and best practices.
- Conduct supportive supervision to ensure that the above has been well applied in health services, education and outreach.
- Train and mentor local gender advisors and partners to integrate gender strategies into their work supporting Jhpiego interventions.
- Facilitate knowledge exchange around best practices for regional gender advisors and focal points.
- Document processes and outcomes for integrating gender into Jhpiego health interventions.
- Serve on external advisory or working groups; represent Jhpiego in key global and regional technical meetings and committees.
- Participate in the production of national and global guidance and reference documents and participate in the development of peer-reviewed publications for the unit.
- Help develop and maintain excellent professional relationships with colleagues, counterparts, and donors worldwide to maximize Jhpiego impact.
- Contribute to new business opportunities, serve as the technical design lead and review proposals to ensure high-quality technical approaches for gender are reflected.
- May supervise staff.
- Fluency in French
- Advanced degree in public health, social sciences, development studies or equivalent degree
- 12 years of progressively responsible related technical experience in public health and/or international development, preferably promoting gender equality
- Minimum of 3 years of senior-level experience providing technical advice on gender equality in programming
- Experience managing and mentoring staff
- Strong analytical skills, especially for conducting gender analyses
- Strong technical capacity and practical experience in designing and implementing gender sensitive development programs
- Strong knowledge of gender and global development issues, preferable with understanding of USAID’s approach to gender equality
- Proven experience in developing, implementing, monitoring and evaluating gender projects and programs
- Demonstrated programming, management and technical skills
- Experience developing strategic and tactical plans in cooperation with others who represent a wide range of interests and needs
- Strong change management, results oriented and decision-making skills
- Proven expertise in providing technical assistance
- Ability to work in complex environments charged with multiple tasks, short deadlines and intense pressure to perform
- Experience working with civil society organizations, governments, donors, and international organizations
- Strong interpersonal skills, able to work well in cross-cultural teams and under tight deadlines
- Excellent group facilitation, team building and coordination, multi-stakeholder consultation, and strategic planning skills
- Excellent capacity-building and training skills
- Strong writing skills, both for technical and program reports
- Field-orientated and comfortable with a team approach to programming
- Ability to interact with established networks of senior level international health professionals, donors, universities and other partners
- Aware of and sensitive to working in multiple socio-economic settings and with multi- cultural groups in a developing country environment
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 15% of the time to developing countries
- A personal commitment to gender equality
- Knowledge and experience with Jhpiego programs
- Knowledge and experience of working for projects funded by international donors will be an added advantage
- Knowledge of and working within Ministry of Health systems
- Experience working with community health workers and health providers
- Worked and/or lived in a developing country in the region
How to apply:
Please apply at www.jobs-jhpiego.icims.com