Staff Attorney, Judicial Strategy
Deadline: Until filled
Location: New York City
Organization: The Center for Reproductive Rights (the Center)
The Center for Reproductive Rights (the Center) is the premier global legal organization dedicated to advancing women's reproductive health, self-determination, and dignity. Its mission is straightforward and ambitious: to advance reproductive health and rights as fundamental human rights that all governments around the world are legally obligated to protect, respect, and fulfill. Headquartered in New York City, the Center has regional offices in Bogota, Geneva, Kathmandu, Nairobi, and Washington, DC and a staff of more than 130 diverse professionals. Its annual operating budget is approximately $23 million, the result of an extraordinary growth trajectory; the Center is now poised for a new phase of significant expansion through its next Strategic Plan.
The Center's game-changing litigation and advocacy work, combined with its unparalleled expertise in constitutional, comparative, and international human rights law, have transformed how reproductive rights are understood by courts, governments, and human rights bodies worldwide. It has played a key role in securing landmark legal victories in the U.S., Latin America, Africa, Asia, and Eastern Europe on issues including access to life-saving obstetrics care, contraception, safe abortion services, and comprehensive sexuality information, as well as the prevention of forced sterilization and child marriage. It has brought groundbreaking cases before national courts, U.N. Committees, and regional human rights bodies, led the development of historic, proactive legislation advancing robust protections for reproductive rights, and has built the legal capacity of women's rights advocates in more than 55 countries.
The Staff Attorney, Judicial Strategy will play an integral role in the Center's judicial strategy work, which focuses on ensuring strong protection for reproductive rights in the courts. The Staff Attorney for Judicial Strategy's main responsibilities will include:
- Contributing to the Center's strategies for the development of legal theories and engagement of key influencers in order to ensure strong protections for reproductive rights in the courts (including contraception and maternal health);
- Supporting strategic relationships with key influencers (including legal media, constitutional/social justice organizations, think tanks, and professional organizations);
- Engaging in intersectional legal work to support the Center's litigation and to protect the rule of law and safeguard constitutional rights in the courts;
- Developing, drafting, and eliciting participation by key influencers in opinion pieces, blogs and other materials for placement in legal media, in collaboration with Center communications staff;
- Implementing strategies to develop and enlist amicus support for our desired changes in legal doctrine, and to identify opportunities for the Center to participate as amicus in other cases;
- Drafting white papers and other materials to advance and support favorable legal theories and jurisprudential changes;
- Engaging in legal and factual research;
- Representing the Center externally through public speaking, and participation in conferences and coalition meetings; and,
- Assuming additional duties as assigned.
- Strong commitment to the Center's mission, purpose, and values;
- JD degree required;
- A minimum of 3 years of post-law school experience;
- Knowledge of reproductive rights issues or other issues relating to human rights, civil rights, racial justice, economic justice or social justice preferred;
- Have an understanding of litigation and court strategy, and be knowledgeable of past Supreme Court campaigns on a range of social justice issues;
- Capable of complex legal analytical work and able to write clearly and effectively;
- Self-motivated, and have strong interpersonal and collaborative skills;
- Must be creative and strategic thinker with good judgment and excellent legal analytical capabilities;
- Excellent communication skills, both orally and in writing;
- A high level of energy, self-confidence, initiative, and follow-through; ability to recognize and act on opportunities in a fast-paced environment; and,
- Principled, ethical, professional, and committed to exceptional work quality and standards.
The Center offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits program.
Core Values and Employment:
The Center for Reproductive Rights is committed to a set of core values in its culture and work environment and expects its staff to have the same commitment. These values are innovation, integrity, effectiveness, excellence, treating our employees as our greatest asset, and building an inclusive and diverse workplace.
How to apply:
A cover letter, rsum, writing sample and contact information for three references must be included in your application in order to be considered for this position. Please include these application materials as attachments.