Sexual, Reproductive Health And Rights Advisor - Volunteer in Nigeria
Location: Calabar, Nigeria
Organization: Cuso International
- Start Date Oct – Nov 2020
- Length of Placement 6 Months
- Language Requirements English Writing Level 5 - Fluent, Reading and Speaking Level 4 - Advanced
- Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
The Volunteer’s Role
Are you seeking to improve the economic and/or social well-being of the poorest, most marginalized and vulnerable people, particularly women and girls? If so this might be the role for you!.
In this role, you will support the project team in developing the capacity of local partners/ institutions that address sexual and gender-based violence including child, early and forced marriage and female gender mutilation/cutting. You will support the empowerment of women and girls.
Apply for this position and let's make a difference together!
As a volunteer, you will:
- Create a multi-dimensional linkage between key health and gender stakeholders.
- Develop thematic health workshops, an emphasis will be placed on sexual and reproductive rights of females, as well as Gender Equality and Social Inclusion issues using "town hall format"
- Develop/revise youth friendly learning materials.
- Support the CPO and partner organization in SRHR related program development and fundraising strategies.
- Coach and mentor relevant staff of partner organization on the implementation and delivery of SRHR and Social Inclusion initiatives.
Essential Academic Qualifications:
- Education in Gender Studies, Sociology, Health, Social Work or equivalent.
Essential Professional Background:
- Experience developing operational plans and strategies
- Experience using monitoring and evaluation systems
- Professional and / or volunteer experience or educational background related to gender/health.
- Experience in training / facilitation
- Strong research and analysis skills
- Experience building and maintaining partnerships
- Strong report writing skills.
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training program and in-country orientation (more details below)
- On the ground support through our Cuso International country program office
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Travel and accommodation for the pre-departure training course, in-country orientation, and reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
- Bonus: Additional return flight home or cash in lieu after 12 months of service for volunteers who extend for another 6 months
We ask each volunteer, regardless of placement length, to raise $2,000. All volunteers receive support from Cuso International to help achieve the goal through fundraising. If the volunteer chooses not to fundraise or is unable to achieve the fundraising goal, he/she can make a one-time donation or become a monthly donor to support our work.
How to apply: