Senior Specialist, Gender Integration
Location: Stanford, CA, USA
Organization: Global Center for Gender Equality at Stanford University
The Senior Specialist, Gender Integration is a new position which will work closely with the Director of Gender Integration to provide targeted expertise to partners to integrate a gender lens into programming across multiple sectors. In its outset, this position will provide technical assistance to a large international foundation to build gender considerations and gender equality outcomes into investments. Principal duties of this role include providing technical assistance in gender integration (e.g., gender analysis, development of gender action plans, design of results frameworks, etc.); designing, facilitating, and delivering training related to gender equality; and, developing new tools to disseminate learnings and support partners in gender integration. The Senior Specialist will contribute to the documentation of support provided in order to track progress and capture the impact of these efforts. Priority activities for the Senior Specialist will depend on gender integration support requests from partners.
The Senior Specialist must have deep expertise integrating a gender lens in the design, implementation, and analysis of international development programs. The Senior Specialist should have prior experience in one of the initial priority sectors—Agricultural Development, Financial Inclusion, and/or Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WSH)—and be willing to take on additional sectors as needed. Strong candidates will have expertise in participatory adult learning methodologies and feminist pedagogies, as well as programming experience in the Global South.
Gender Integration Technical Assistance: Establish a deep and evolving understanding of partners’ existing gender integration strategies and organizational structure in order to ensure technical assistance is in alignment with partner needs.
Capacity Building: Design face-to-face and virtual training that uses participatory, appreciative, and adult-learning approaches related to gender equality and female empowerment.
Learnings dissemination: Develop generic versions of partner-specific training modules and tools to be used by additional philanthropic and development organizations.
Additional Responsibilities: Deliver presentations at conferences, events, and high-level meetings.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Deep expertise in gender analysis, integration and mainstreaming strategies in a development context.
- Proven ability to work with large funders and development organizations to apply an intersectional lens to gender integration across diverse bodies of work.
- Experience with gender program monitoring and evaluation, including the design of tracking systems, development of indicators, and mechanisms to capture gender-sensitive and gender-transformative data.
- In-depth understanding of international development processes, actors and cultures.
- Expertise in participatory, feminist adult learning training theory and practice.
- Significant experience in designing and facilitating interactive meetings, workshops, and trainings.
- Advanced degree with 15+ years of experience in gender integration or mainstreaming, with at least some of it serving in a location in the Global South.
- Experience working in at least one priority sector: Agricultural Development, Financial Inclusion, and/or Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WSH).
- Proven effectiveness/track record working with or liaising with large international development foundations or other funders.
- Effective relationship-building and collaboration skills with a diverse range of partners and donors, both in-person and virtually.
- Comfortable in a wide range of cultural, geographic and operational situations, demonstrating culturally sensitive behavior with a diverse range of people.
- Creative problem solver with rigorous approach and aptitude for managing details in fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work in an additional language a plus.
Candidates must be authorized to work in the United States.
The Global Center for Gender Equality is committed to working in a multicultural environment where differences are valued and respected. People of color; LGBTIQ and gender non-conforming people; and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to apply: