Senior Research Analyst, Gender & Reproductive Rights & Justice
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Organization: Political Research Associates
You are an experienced researcher, analyst, and writer. Driven and committed to social justice, big ideas and even bigger challenges excite you. You have experience working as a senior researcher/strategist. You recognize that in this moment of crisis, social justice advocates will have to make significant adjustments to refashion ourselves as an effective resistance movement capable of robust defense of rights and liberty—with emphasis on those threatened by racism, xenophobia, and gender & sexual violence. You also see that we need a forward, welcoming stance that looks outward to the millions of people not yet part of our networks who are alarmed and fearful of what they see happening in our country and will join with us if we create appropriate opportunities for them. The idea of helping build such a movement is what gets you out of bed in the morning.
PRA is currently seeking a Senior Research Analyst for our program on Gender and Reproductive Justice. This role will help develop and implement work focusing on the Religious and Secular Right’s strategies and discourses to curtail gender and reproductive health and rights, strengthen the building of an intersectional agenda to advance gender and reproductive health, rights, and justice, and build links to other social movements. Reporting to the Research Director, you will be charged with leading research and educational efforts that are actionable for advocates and allies and that respond to the demands of the current moment: that we address.
The Senior Research Analysts key responsibilities include:
· With support from the Research Director, develop and implement annual programmatic goals and priorities for the Gender and Reproductive Justice program and contribute to program team goals and priorities.
· Lead work to expand our knowledge of the Right’s, and particularly the Christian Right’s, strategies to limit reproductive justice, rights, and access and impose gender conformity/uniformity, to understand intersections with the economic Right, and to support the building of an intersectional resistance agenda.
· Generate high-quality research products for publication in various PRA and external vehicles, including The Public Eye, printed reports, and Web content.
· Develop and maintain ongoing productive relationships with organizing and advocacy groups in order to improve the quality and impact of both our and their work.
· Support the editorial board of The Public Eye, with particular attention to suggesting, recruiting and reviewing content in the area of gender and reproductive justice that compliments PRA’s own intellectual production and advances our research program.
· Keep research team and development and communications staff informed of and conversant in your areas of research.
· As appropriate, and with support of Research Director, identify opportunities for collaboration with staff and outside researchers/writers.
· Work with communications and research staff to develop and implement an appropriate media and communications strategy for PRA research and analysis in the area of gender and reproductive justice.
· Prepare and execute convenings, presentations, briefings, trainings, strategy discussions, etc., to support movement partners in deepening their understanding, analysis, and strategy on issues of gender and reproductive justice.
· Partner with the Development Director in developing proposals, briefing funders, and reporting on program outcomes and impact.
· Mentor research interns, delegating appropriate tasks, providing feedback on work products, and helping develop the next generation of researchers on the Right.
· Participate in organizational development and administrative projects as needed and assigned.
· Represent PRA in a professional manner, consistent with our mission and strategic plan, both within the organization and in public
Commitment to the vision and mission of PRA; 7-8 year demonstrated experience researching and writing on the U.S. Right, the Christian Right, and Gender and Reproductive Justice; deep knowledge of the social justice movements and organizing and advocacy groups in the gender and reproduction health, rights, and justice sectors; excellent research and analytical skills; excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills including a substantive publishing portfolio; demonstrated efficacy managing projects and deadlines; critical and creative thinking; strong verbal communication, presentation, and facilitation skills; ability to work both independently and as part of a team; ability to support and contribute to all areas of the organization’s research program; passion for social justice; and willingness to learn new skills.
Salary is competitive, on a social justice nonprofit scale, commensurate with skills and experience. Generous compensation package includes full medical & dental, retirement, fabulous colleagues, and a collaborative working environment. This is a full-time 2 year salaried position based in Somerville, Massachusetts, with the possibility of extension. PRA is a racial justice and equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. People of color, LGBTQ persons, and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to apply:
To apply please send a cover letter, resume, a writing sample, and references to Jennifer Worden at email@example.com. Deadline for a guaranteed review of your application is Dec. 20, 2018.