Senior Officer for Latin America and the Caribbean
Location: Latin America (home based)
Organization: Girls Not Brides: The Global Partnership to End Child Marriage
Girls Not Brides is seeking a Senior Officer for Latin America and the Caribbean to work with the Head of Latin America and the Caribbean Engagement in coordinating outreach to civil society, spearhead engagement with governments, institutions and stakeholders, and play a key role in the implementation of Girls Not Brides’ strategy in the region.
The successful candidate will be bilingual (English and Spanish) and will be based in a Latin American country (home-based).
- Contribute to the development and implementation of Girls Not Brides’ strategy in the region
- Monitor and analyse major policy developments related to child marriage in the region
- Support members in the region and promote joint action
- Engage with selected regional intergovernmental organisations
- Work with the Head of LAC to establish and develop Girls Not Brides’ presence, visibility and credibility in the region
- Contribute to the broader Girls Not Brides strategic, programmatic and communications work with the regional perspective, where possible and as appropriate
Candidates must have a valid visa/permit that allows placement/work in the chosen location.
We are looking for bilingual (Spanish and English) candidates with the following qualifications and skills:
- Masters Degree in a relevant area (such as public policy, development studies, Latin American studies, international relations, human rights or gender issues) or proven experience in a related field.
- Demonstrated experience with policy analysis and advocacy on issues relating to Latin America; experience working with coalitions in Latin America and an understanding of child marriage and of the key players in the women’s and children’s rights fields is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement advocacy strategies.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and execute projects on time and on budget.
- Ability to develop effective working relationships in multicultural environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills, and ability to empower and inspire others.
- Excellent project planning and project management skills; demonstrated ability to plan and execute projects on time and on budget, to meet tight deadlines and juggle multiple priorities, and to resolve problems and adapt plans if required;
- Ability to work pro-actively in a remote office with minimal supervision, meet tight deadlines and juggle multiple priorities.
- Ability to resolve problems and adapt plans if required.
- Ability to use discretion and maintain confidentiality.
- Fluent spoken and written English and Spanish communication skills required, with an eye for detail; Portuguese language skills desirable.
- Proficiency in recent versions of Microsoft Office suite; knowledge of Salesforce, Float and Basecamp desirable.
- Willingness to work from home, with all necessary equipment and technology provided by Girls Not Brides.
- Willingness to travel up to 30% time.
How to apply:
We are an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons.
Please send your CV and a brief cover letter demonstrating how you meet the criteria for this position to recruitment@GirlsNotBrides.org by 23:00 GMT on Thursday 11th April 2019 clearly stating “Senior Officer for Latin America and the Caribbean” and your name in the subject line.
In your application, please let us know your preferred location. Candidates will need to have the authorisation to work and reside in the country specified. We regret that due to the large number of applications anticipated, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.