Senior Global Advocacy Officer
Deadline: Until filled
Location: New York, NY
Organization: PPFA - Planned Parenthood Federation of America
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) seeks a dynamic and effective Senior Global Advocacy Officer will provide cross-regional advocacy coordination and project management, conduct research and writing projects as assigned, will represent Planned Parenthood Global, the international arm of PPFA, on key US-based coalitions, and will help to coordinate cross regional meetings and trainings for Planned Parenthood Global staff.
S/he will also serve as the clearinghouse on Planned Parenthood Global’s actions to reduce the influence of opposition to sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR), especially attacks on access to contraceptive services and safe abortion. S/he will deepen and expand the scope of PPFA’s research on this topic to include research and analysis on the intersecting opposition to reproductive rights and rights related to the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) communities and new opportunities for funding. S/he will facilitate cross regional sharing, will develop tools, frameworks, analyses, papers and presentations on opposition to SRHR and related advocacy strategies.
Duties and responsibilities
- Support Senior Director of Global Advocacy on overall advocacy program, including special research and writing projects as assigned.
- Project manage cross-regional advocacy initiatives, providing coordination support with funders and technical assistance to regional staff and partners as needed.
- Manage Planned Parenthood Global’s project on opposition to sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) and LGBTQ rights, specifically acting as a conduit of cross-regional information.
- Facilitate a high degree of collaboration and cross-regional learning on opposition to SRHR and related advocacy strategies at the UN level within the division, including regular communication with Africa and Latin America regional colleagues, engagement on regular global division calls, and other scheduled meetings/teleconferences as needed.
- Liaise with other organizations working on sexual and reproductive health and rights, human rights and development: represent Planned Parenthood Global in key US-based coalition meetings.
- Research new funding opportunities monitoring work. Prepare, revise, advise or consult on funding proposals, donor reports and other related documents.
- Work closely with Senior Director of Global Advocacy (DC) and Africa and Latin America opposition monitoring teams.
- Hire/supervise interns and consultants as necessary.
Requirements / technical expertise
- Bachelor’s degree along with experience in Public Policy or related field highly desirable.
- 5-8 years’ experience working on international human rights, women’s rights or sexual and reproductive health policy issues.
- Fluent oral and written communications skills in English and French required.
- Knowledge in the area of safe abortion advocacy is desirable.
- Experience working on advocacy campaigns geared towards policy change, with special preference for campaign experience in African or Latin America; demonstrated experience in strategic policy analysis; persuasive, diplomatic and articulate.
- Media savvy and public presentation skills.
- Extensive knowledge of international development issues and experience with grassroots development work is desirable.
- Willingness to work outside of the 9-5 workday when necessary, and to travel.
Personal qualities / other attributes
- Dynamic, creative, self-motivated, strategic and original thinker with senior-level advocacy experience and a demonstrated commitment to women’s human rights.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate with colleagues from diverse disciplines and perspectives, and demonstrated effectiveness at interaction in various settings.
- Ability to work quickly and effectively under pressure as well as to respond to regional needs.
- Team building and training abilities.
Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
How to apply: