Senior Gender and Youth Specialist, Ethiopia
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Organization: Banyan Global
Banyan Global, an international development consulting firm, is seeking applications from qualified Ethiopian candidates to serve as a Senior-level Gender and Youth Specialist for a USAID-funded agricultural value chain project. The position will be based in Addis Ababa.
- Provide technical leadership and guidance to a Feed The Future agricultural value chain project to ensure that project activities address gender equality, women’s empowerment and positive youth development.
- Provide technical and managerial oversight to a team of 4 regional gender and youth specialists based in Oromia, SNNPR, Tigray, and Amhara.
- Ensure that gender and youth is integrated and mainstreamed across the program, including project design, implementation and monitoring, operations, as well as in staff training materials, policies and procedures.
- Monitor the project’s gender action plan and link it to the overall project work plan and monitoring and evaluation activities.
- Produce and provide input into project work plans, with attention to gender and youth dimensions of technical activities and operations, and discuss gender and youth issues and priorities with senior management and other technical specialists.
- Conduct gender and youth assessments in project locations in Ethiopia as required.
- Provide strategic technical guidance on gender and youth integration to key personnel, project staff, government ministries, and project partners and stakeholders.
- Engage with available and active women’s networks for project implementation, as well as project learning and knowledge-sharing.
- Design and facilitate trainings for staff, stakeholders, and project clients to ensure that the project assesses and accounts for gender and youth considerations.
- Develop appropriate gender and youth resources and tools for project staff.
- Maintain an up-to-date and thorough understanding of gender and youth issues related to project components.
- Facilitate experiential sharing and learning sessions every six months around the challenges and opportunities faced by staff in the field and in their own lives related to gender and youth development.
- Write quarterly, biannual and annual reports, including case studies and success stories.
- Document best practices, lessons learned and share with project staff and external stakeholders.
- Travel as necessary throughout the country to project designated locations.
- Ethiopian nationality.
- Fluency in English and Amharic is mandatory.
- 7 or more years of demonstrated experience working on gender integration within development initiatives.
- Master’s Degree in international development, gender, business, or another related field.
- Demonstrated experience integrating gender into agribusiness activities strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated experience designing and facilitating trainings on gender issues and gender integration processes and techniques.
- Strong negotiations and communications skills, and effective report-writing skills in English.
- Strong monitoring and evaluation skills, including experience with the selection and monitoring of effective gender indicators.
- Capacity to be original and creative in strategies to integrate gender considerations into non-gender related programming.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the Women’s Equality in Agriculture Index (WEAI).
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the principles of Positive Youth Development.
- Demonstrated experience managing a team of technical specialists, with the ability to provide strong mentorship and guidance to others.
- Experience working on USAID and/or other international donor-funded development programs.
Salary commensurate with background and experience. Banyan Global is an equal opportunity employer.
How to apply:
Include a cover letter and resume in your submission. Please no phone calls.