Senior Communications Associate
Deadline: Until filled
Location: Washington, DC, United States
Organization: Global Fund for Children
Who we are:
Global Fund for Children partners with local organizations around the world to help children and youth reach their full potential and advance their rights. We are the only global nonprofit dedicated to finding, funding, and collaborating with community-based organizations that empower children and youth. Since 1997, GFC has impacted the lives of 11 million children through a network of 700+ local organizations worldwide. Learn more: www.globalfundforchildren.org.
Who we need:
Are you passionate about storytelling and the written word? Do you have your finger on the pulse of the news cycle? Do you have keen eye for detail and design, great people skills, plus an opinion about the Oxford comma? We want to talk to you.
We’re looking for a full-time Senior Communications Associate to join Global Fund for Children’s Washington, DC office, to source, develop, and distribute content across GFC’s communication channels and to external outlets. This is a new position.
The Senior Communications Associate will create and edit compelling copy about GFC, its partners, and the children and youth GFC serves, and assists the Marketing & Communications team in delivering this content to the press, subscribers, and donors. You will help to articulate GFC’s vision, mission, and work in a way that resonates with a variety of audiences, as well as research, cultivate relationships with, and pitch content to media contacts. You will also help facilitate website updates, liaise with external contractors, and manage GFC’s messaging and branding materials.
Reporting to GFC’s Communications and Digital Media Manager, you will join a multinational team of caring and committed individuals who believe in investing in bold ideas to help grassroots organizations deepen their impact and advocate for children’s rights. This is an exciting opportunity to be part of GFC’s mission and vision, and to embrace our values of courage, passion, partnership, learning, inclusion, and excellence.
What you’ll do:
- Serve as the primary writer and/or editor for print and web publications to maintain a consistent and compelling brand, voice, and message; coordinate and collaborate with other team members on writing projects
- Conduct research and interviews; gather information and statistics relevant to GFC’s work; identify content gaps and suggest new topics and sources
- Track and share media coverage of GFC and its partners; monitor trends and current events, suggesting opportunities for public response
- Research, track, and help cultivate relationships with journalists and media outlets; expand public relations campaigns and media connections to new sectors
- Draft compelling media pitches and statements; assist in developing op-eds, media and interview preparation, thought pieces, and news statements
- Coordinate communications projects involving other GFC team members, consultants, and external stakeholders
- Post blogs and news items on GFC’s website; help to create and update other web content
- Facilitate the development and design of marketing materials in house using graphic design software, or in collaboration with graphic designers
- Maintain brand and messaging consistency by reviewing and editing donor-oriented content – digital fundraising communications, donor correspondence, concept notes, and donor reports – as requested
- Collaborate with the Communications & Marketing Team to develop and implement GFC’s overall communications strategy, including support to digital fundraising campaigns
- Help maintain GFC’s internal communications guides, including style guide and storytelling guide
- Other duties as assigned
What we’re looking for:
- At least 3 years of professional experience in communications, public relations, journalism, or a related field
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, communications, international affairs, or a related field
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Strong eye for detail and design; commitment to concise copy and clean aesthetics
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- A passion for storytelling; ability to distill and convey information without sacrificing emotional resonance; ability to tailor content and messaging for specific audiences, especially journalists and news media
- Collaborative spirit; commitment to teamwork
- Proactive approach; ability to learn and adapt quickly
- Familiarity with community-based and/or international development, children’s rights, or other social justice issues; commitment to amplifying the voices of GFC’s partners and youth
- Familiarity with WordPress, Adobe Creative Cloud, and HTML coding, or willingness to learn
- Ability to travel both domestically and internationally, with notice
How to apply:
- a cover letter,
- a resume or curriculum vitae, and
- at least two writing samples
to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Senior Communications Associate” in the subject line.
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in the United States.
Position is open until filled for immediate hire, and only short-listed candidates will be contacted.