Deadline: Until filled
Location: Washington, USA
This role offers a unique opportunity for an individual with a strong accounting and grants management background to join an international women’s rights organization. As part of the cross-regional Finance and Operations team and broader global team, the Senior Accountant performs assigned accounting functions requiring in-depth knowledge of the JASS financial systems. This position will provide support for various aspects of the cross-regional finance department’s operations, applying Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) in the analysis, verification and preparation of general ledger transactions and other financial records. Additionally, the Senior Accountant will also report to and work in close collaboration with Director of Finance and Operations in the area of grants management, tracking restricted expenditures, the releasing of funds, and the reporting on restricted grants.
- Assist in ensuring that JASS’ accounting and financial controls, policies and procedures are maintained and followed, recommending enhancements where necessary and appropriate.
- Assist in overseeing payables and receipts by reviewing and posting entries made by a Junior Accountant.
- Assist in preparing journal entries and account reconciliations.
- Monitor bank accounts daily for cash flow purposes, and work with Director of Finance and Operations to manage cash flow to meet operating needs.
- Prepare payroll, including reconciliation of employee time and attendance records, preparation of monthly payroll and pension accounting journal entries, and production of monthly/quarterly reports.
- Track, monitor and maintain files and reports for JASS’ contracted service providers and vendors; perform annual 1099 reporting process for vendors;
- Assist in compiling schedules and the 990 IRS and State annual filings.
- Work closely with the Director of Finance and Operations to execute month-end closing procedures and postings and in the preparation of financial Statements and Budget to Actual Reports.
- Support annual year-end close process, including preparing supporting schedules for the interim/annual audits and tax returns.
- As a member of the cross-regional Finance and Operations team, provide support to the regional finance staff, work to reconcile regional specificities and legal requirements; and support the integration of financial data from the regions into JASS’s central finance system.
- Assist in the monitoring, reporting and (re)forecasting of JASS’ institutional (restricted) income.
- Ensure quality control for reported deliverables in regard to re-grants for which JASS is the fiscal sponsor.
- Monitor the effective cost recovery and the releasing of funds across all restricted grants that JASS manages.
- Assist in donor audits and coordinating provision of relevant information necessary to meet audit obligations.
- Support the Director of Finance and Operations in developing proactive, flexible and adaptive approaches and policies for managing risks related to the (institutional) donors.
- BA in accounting or related field
- Minimum of 5 years working in a senior financial position for a nonprofit organization
- Experience accounting for and reporting on a variety of restricted funding sources, including private foundations and government grants with a clear understanding of cost classifications, expense allocations and cost recovery methodologies
- Knowledge and experience using multi-module, job costing accounting software (INTACCT accounting software a plus)
- Strong and responsive communicator including on email, Skype and with colleagues across different offices/time zones/cultures
- Experience working for an international NGO a plus
- Spanish language skills a plus
- Commitment to the goals and mission of JASS
Who we are
JASS is dedicated to strengthening and amplifying the voice, visibility and collective power of women to create a just and sustainable world for all. As an international network grounded in the Global South, JASS equips, accompanies and amplifies grassroots women activists and organizations with the tools, connections and resources they need to scale up their demands and solutions to problems of inequality and violence. We focus our work with women and organizations on the frontlines of crises and change (indigenous, rural, LGBTQ, young and poor women) in Mesoamerica, Southern Africa and Southeast Asia. While they rarely have a seat at the decision-making table, they are leading communities and building innovative solutions to the multiple crises in the world – often at great risk.
How to apply:
Please send your resume and cover letter with the subject line "Senior Accountant" to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please, no phone calls.