Request for Proposals: Provision of consultancy services in developing an AWID Membership Strategy
Organization: Association for Women's Rights in Development (AWID)
AWID is a global, feminist, membership and movement support organization. Our members play an important role in our governance, in our strategic thinking and are an essential part of our diverse constituencies. They speak out and support each other, mobilize together, and take action. We are committed to continuing to grow and strengthen engagement of a membership base that reflects our principles, values, priorities, responding to the need for dialogue and solidarity among feminists, women’s rights and gender justice movements. A key goal for our new membership strategy is to particularly focus on growing institutional members from our priority constituencies, and re-imagine creative ways of engaging with our global individual and institutional members. AWID’s members are spread across numerous regions and countries. For this reason, it is key that we build a well-connected online membership community in order to contribute to movement building and towards the advancement of our organisational goals.
Background to the consultancy
AWID has been a membership organisation since its inception and for over three decades our engagement with members has continuously evolved. Our membership activities have included providing information to members on key priority issues for feminists, women’s rights and gender justice movements. Encouraging our members to take action in support of social justice causes, and building a wider, stronger membership base through a range of outreach and recruitment activities. As we start a new Strategic Plan (SP), we are looking to continue to grow our membership base (currently at close to 5,600 individual and institutional members) as well as strengthen it to reflect our priority constituencies and movements, with the goal of mobilising our membership even more effectively in furtherance of our SP goals.
The objective of this consultancy is to work with AWID to develop a clear and strong membership strategy within the framework of the new SP which centres our priority constituencies (feminists working on land, workers rights, sexual rights and bodily autonomy), feminist movements, and historically oppressed groups in all four of AWID’s Initiatives and through all of the tactics. The membership strategy will 1) be part of and respond to AWID’s new SP and 2) will specifically guide our membership work so that it contributes to achieving all our core goals throughout 2018-2022.
AWID’s 2018 - 2022 SP focuses on Co-creating Feminist Realities. Our key goals are to:
- strengthen feminist movements so that they thrive;
- challenge and delegitimize the influence of anti-rights actors and agendas;
- co-create, advance and amplify feminist realities, narratives and proposals; and
- maintain and strengthen AWID’s resilience and sustainability to carry out this work.
We will do this work using the following tactics:
- Knowledge Building
- Influencing, Advocacy and Campaigning
- Information, Communications and Media (ICM)
- Convening and connecting
- Solidarity and bridge-building
- Arts and Creative Expression
Our tactics are how we advance our organizational goals and they are inextricably linked, reinforcing each other in shifting narratives, disrupting power and creating transformative change as well as in enriching our movements. We aim to advance our goals through four initiatives that work to contribute to the goals we seek:
- Advancing Universal Rights and Justice
- Building Feminist Economies
- Resourcing Feminist Movements
- Co-Creating Feminist Realities (AWID Forum)
Methodology for consultancy
Consultants are requested to propose a methodology as part of this request for proposals which may include any of the following:
- Desk review of relevant documents (2018-2022 Strategic Plan, past and current membership statistics, and a range of background material including membership profiles and stories, perception surveys and system assessment and recommendation reports)
- Review of current membership work, what works well, what strengths can be built on and what may need improvement. Research on best possible ways and models for strengthening membership work
- Survey or focus group discussions with selected AWID members
- Facilitate a series of discussions with AWID as part of the membership strategy development
- Production of first draft for review and feedback by relevant AWID staff
- Production of second draft incorporating feedback
- Production of final version with sign off from AWID
A final membership strategy with a list of deliverables which may include:
- Clear membership outcomes and objectives for the duration of the AWID Strategic Plan (including members’ roles, privileges, and benefits)
- Information and outline of the membership model(s) AWID is to implement
- Outline of how tactics are included in all the work related to membership
- Identification of opportunities for engaging and increasing membership through AWID’s initiatives
- Identifying the ways in which AWID members can continuously stay engaged with AWID and each other including the possible identification of online community building platforms
- Suggested ways of measuring the success of our membership strategy
The consultant(s) should have a combination of relevant professional experience and expertise in the following:
- Demonstrated delivery of a membership strategy for at least one global movement building membership organization
- Knowledge of women’s rights, social justice movements and understanding of feminism in the global context
- Expertise in movement building work at the global level
- Experience in working with Civil Society Organisations that have a virtual membership base which is dynamic, solidly engaged and participative
- Experience in strategic communications
- Creativity in the approach to networking and building an online community that will also aim to mobilize members for advocacy campaigns
- Excellent writing skills and proficiency in at least one of AWID’s official languages are essential
- Strong interpersonal skills and a flexible attitude
Women and candidates from historically oppressed groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Duration of the Consultancy
The consultancy will begin in February 2018. The consultant will be required to deliver a first strategy draft by mid - March 2018. The final strategy is due at the latest by mid-April 2018.
How to apply:
Please send the following (in word or PDF format):
- your Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- a cover letter indicating your motivation/interest in the consultancy
- a proposal for how you would approach the consultancy and the methodology you would use and deliverables for the consultancy
- Daily remuneration rate and projected total budget in USD (Please note: AWID budget is maximum of USD 5000)
- Suggested Timeline
- Details of 3 references
Please also attach examples and/or weblinks to previous work delivered.
Applications should be sent/emailed to email@example.com by 26 February 2018. Please put ‘Membership Strategy Consultancy’ in the subject line.