Regional Director, Gift Planning
Deadline: Until filled
Location: New York, NY, USA
Organization: Planned Parenthood Federation of America
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Based in New York and reporting to the Director of Gift Planning, the Regional Director will work with a team of gift planning colleagues, develops long term support for PPFA and its affiliates from donors and prospects in a portfolio of approximately 650 individuals in a region of the United States to be assigned. Works with individuals and couples at different stages of the Estate Planning Cycle.
- Obtains new bequest intents and new life income gift commitments for Planned Parenthood. Responds to inquiries by prospective donors in a timely manner via telephone, proposals, and email. Writes proposals and letters on issues ranging from bequest intentions to charitable trusts, addressing donor questions and concerns. Works with members of the gift planning team and contacts at various financial institutions to complete necessary gift transactions.
- Arranges visits with donors and prospects throughout the region to solicit new and increased gifts and to reconfirm commitments. Manages travel schedule throughout the region so that all donors in the portfolio are visited or offered visits in a three-year cycle. Uses PPFA resources wisely. Writes complete and timely call reports and thank you notes.
- Arranges affiliate visits in conjunction with donor travel and coordinates visits of shared planned giving donors. Assists staff in Planned Parenthood's nationwide network of affiliates in developing planned giving programs.
- Actively participates in special campaigns such as the Bequest Challenge, securing commitments via face-to-face visits and meetings via telephone.
- Works with affiliate and major gift officers on shared donors and prospects. Recommends cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies, and implements strategy in conjunction with senior staff, keeping in mind the effective utilization of staff resources.
- Makes a commitment to professional growth and building technical expertise through self study. Reads planned giving papers and newsletters. Attends webinars, programs, and conferences focused on gift planning.
- Increases membership in the legacy society by inviting individuals who have made bequest intents or life income gifts. Prepares timely thank you letters on behalf of the President of PPFA. For the top tier of gift planning donors, arranges additional donor recognition opportunities.
- This position requires overnight travel throughout the region, with a current Driver's License, and a clean driving record.
- Bachelor's degree required. Master's degree preferred.
- 8 years of fundraising experience in planned giving, major gifts, and/or annual giving (or 5 years with Master's degree). Planned giving training will be provided as needed if background of candidate is primarily major or annual giving.
- Superb listening and interpersonal skills. Ability to exude personal warmth, maturity, and sophistication when representing Planned Parenthood in the field.
- Strong hands-on computer skills, mathematical aptitude, and ability to master legal and tax issues related to charitable giving.
- Ability to work independently toward shared goals and to solve problems thoughtfully and quickly.
How to apply: