Racial Equity Inclusion Director
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Organization: Center on Halsted
Center on Halsted advances community and secures the health and well-being of the LGBTQ people of Chicagoland.
Set a dynamic, growth oriented vision to expand program capacity and impact with individuals and organizations through an REI lens, moving participants from knowledge acquisition to measurable action. The Director of REI will work closely with communities across Chicago to identify and address bias and inequity at the intersections of sexuality, race, and gender through community organizing, training, leadership development, and collaborative engagement.
The Director will partner with Senior Leadership (COO supervisor & CEO) to oversee aspects of the strategic priorities set forth by the Board of Directors. Engage in policy research and development on issues of race and gender based violence within and against marginalized communities. Implement rigorous research methodology, data management, reporting, and analysis. Produce reports providing creative solutions for consideration by Senior Leadership.
Community Outreach and Education
Actively initiate community partnerships and represent Center on Halsted at coalitions, community meetings, and critical decision making tables ensuring that COH is identified as a visible and substantive leader on issues of racial equity and inclusion. Key to successful outreach is collaborating with our communications team in developing an annual marketing plan with measurable benchmarks resulting in the production of professional written, electronic, and social media materials and content driving an increase in fee-based consulting services. Engage the Center’s many volunteers to help build capacity and reach. Additionally, as part of the COH strategic plan, the focus of engaging Lesbian, Family, and Transgender communities within the lens of REI is required. Attend, lead and/or develop local and regional meetings relating to the equity and inclusion agenda.
Internal Organizational Development
- Work closely with the CEO and COO to develop a workplace culture where racial equity and inclusion is a value and is operationalized
- Lead and coordinate the efforts of the employee-based Equity Leadership Group, designed to inform the internal Racial Equity and Inclusion work at the Center.
- Use a Racial Equity Tool to analyze personnel policies and practices for implicit bias and institutional racism. Based on the analysis, take proactive steps to eliminate implicit bias and institutional racism.
- Engage in rigorous data analysis to develop and implement internal and external REI strategies. Provide qualitative data analysis to fully understand work place culture challenges to better serve LGBTQ communities.
- Set goals, track progress and focus on accountability – Set clear goals for improving workforce equity and track progress over time so that strategies can be modified, as needed, to effectively achieve meaningful results.
- Provide leadership, training and guidance to all, programs, services and activities with regard to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Provide leadership for programs that promote racial and ethnic diversity and integration within all levels of COH programs
- Develops programs to ensure equity for all patrons and access to all programs
- Work closely with representatives of community organizations and groups to formulate recommendations which relate to diversity, equity, and inclusion issues.
- Participate in external equity and inclusion committees and makes recommendations to the COH leadership on issues that impact the LGBTQ community
- Monitor community needs, trends and legislative activity that impact the LGBTQ community
- Provide and promote cultural awareness programs for the LGBTQ community with a focus in large part, though not exclusively, on Lesbian, Trans and Family program
- Prepare and deliver presentations and workshops to staff, stakeholders and partner organizations
- Plan, promote, and coordinate community relevant opportunities to enhance educational equity and inclusion
- Stay abreast of innovations in racial equity dialogue occurring at the national level
Perform other duties as assigned by the COO & CEO
The successful Director will be an interdisciplinary thinker with a current understanding of and experience in leading racial healing and justice efforts in a community-based context. The ideal candidate will have an advanced degree and substantial work and leadership experience in fields related to racial equity and community engagement, along with a comprehensive understanding of organizational development and program design.
- Strong knowledge of and commitment to Racial Equity and Inclusion theories and practices regarding organizational development
- Excellent organizational, written, oral and interpersonal communication skills
- Proven research skills
- Presentation development and training skills
- Experience of building trusting relationships with key stakeholders and decision makers
- Strong facilitation skills
- self-motivation and an ability to use initiative
- Ability to work across the entirety of organizational structures
- Systems thinking and best-practice orientation to identify strategic opportunities for growth.
Given the evolution of this work at Center on Halsted, the candidate will have the ability to welcome and adapt quickly to change. They will also have the ability to work collaboratively in multi-leveled decision-making processes within a complex organization. They will also be skilled at analyzing complex qualitative and quantitative data and trend analysis to be used in informing public policy pieces, suggesting internal practices and engaging in external collaborations.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Center on Halsted hires the most qualified candidates without regard to any person’s race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, disability, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, pregnancy, military discharge status or source of income.
This job description is not a comprehensive list of all of the possible job-related responsibilities, tasks and duties that are required of this position, and further, Center on Halsted reserves the right to change as it sees fit any and all of the employee’s responsibilities, tasks and duties.
Center on Halsted offers the following benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, STD/LTD/Life, Vacation, Transit Benefits
How to apply:
PLEASE NO PHONE CALLS.