Public Affairs Project Specialist
Location: Washington, DC, USA
Organization: Our Secure Future
For more than a decade, One Earth Future (OEF) has worked to solve complex problems at the root of armed conflict. Through its unique culture of iterative learning and improvement, OEF designs, tests, and partners to scale programs that help communities see problems in new ways and solve them collectively. With its headquarters in Colorado and offices around the world, OEF operates as a portfolio of peace-building programs, each with its own director, strategy, and budget. What holds them together is a common purpose: to provide an impartial platform for diverse stakeholders to form adaptive problem-solving networks for peace. At the foundation level, OEF provides the financial, strategic, and operational support needed to iteratively develop solutions to complex problems that could not have been designed in advance.
Our Secure Future: Women Make the Difference (OSF) is a new program at OEF. The OSF mission is to strengthen the Women, Peace and Security movement for more effective policy decision-making to create a more peaceful world. We envision a more just and peaceful future transformed by women’s full participation. More information can be found at www.oursecurefuture.org or follow us on Twitter @oursecurefuture.
OSF requires someone with entrepreneurial drive and creativity to hit the ground running in a fast growing program. This is a great opportunity to help build a world-class Women, Peace and Security program from the ground up. This role is for someone who is equally comfortable taking the lead role on projects, as well as willing to pitch in at all levels to get the job done right. We require a motivated self-starter who is passionate about peace and women’s rights, able to work well in a small team, and has the savvy to turn obstacles into opportunities.
The Project Specialist will work closely with the Director and OSF team to support the communications and public affairs goals of Our Secure Future: Women Make the Difference. Primary duties include: support for strategic planning with the team, direct responsibility for logistical and administrative support to and liaise with at least 3 OSF partners, including processing invoices, work plans, contracts and similar operational duties; assists the Director in research and writing, including producing web content, policy briefs, research reports and other documents as are needed to achieve the goals of this fast developing program.
Additionally, the Project Specialist will also coordinate with the OEF Communications team on the public release and distribution of OSF reports and other products. To that end, the Project Specialist will manage the OSF Twitter account in order to publicize OSF work as well as relevant current events and stories. The Project Specialist will provide additional research and support to the team as needed. The ability to work collaboratively in a team, and independently as needed, is required.
- Management and production of all web content under the direction of the Associate Director, the Director, and in collaboration with the OEF Communications team in Colorado.
- Assist Director in the development of an OSF program communications strategy for 2018-2020 leading up to the 20th anniversary of UNSCR 1325 and Women, Peace and Security.
- Work closely with OSF team to support OSF partnerships including logistics, event planning, administrative needs.
- Assist with and conduct, facilitate, and produce original research in the form of policy briefs, research reports, blog posts, and other documents as needed using both primary and secondary sources.
- Organize, maintain and manage contact lists using Salesforce, or other approved database.
- Work with OEF Operations team, OEF Research, and other OEF programs to share and coordinate efforts related to WPS.
- Expand and strengthen OSF’s online presence.
- Manage OSF twitter feed to ensure the views of the program are appropriately shared with the public; Build a robust Twitter following with the OSF Intern.
- Manage content on OSF website, including an editorial calendar, partner content, and developing new content; Build a robust OSF website audience who views OSF as a resource.
- Coordinate the public release and distribution of OSF reports and other products via public outreach, pitching to media, twitter and on the OSF website in coordination with OEF Communications and Operations staff.
- Other research and coordination work as is needed as the program grows.
- Liaise with other programs at OEF to help support the integration of gender perspectives in OEF work.
Required Education, Knowledge, Skills and Competences:
- Master’s degree in relevant subject; Postgraduate study preferred.
- 4 to 7 years relevant work experience.
- Demonstrated experience working in high-pressure environments in public affairs on the Hill or in the USG, especially with digital media and online platforms.
- Intermediate knowledge of MS Office and G-Suite products; Experience with Monday.com, Slack, Salesforce.
- Willingness to learn new software to support the goal of the program.
- Ability to maintain regular and punctual attendance with ability to be flexible to accommodate for early or late meetings.
- A second language is a plus.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Superb oral and written communication skills in English.
- Takes joy in attention to detail and staying organized.
- Demonstrated savvy and excellent skills with social media (especially Twitter).
- Passionate about women’s rights and international peace and security issues.
- Willingness to learn about the Women, Peace and Security agenda and movement.
- Exposure to foreign policy making, the WPS community (in Washington DC or New York) , or experience with international advocacy by civil society organizations on social justice issues.
- International experience working with women’s peace organizations, working for government actors abroad (can include the UN, the USG, international development organizations, or short-term consultancies overseas).
- Ability to multitask and prioritize workload.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work with people from multiple levels both inside and outside the organization.
- Ability to handle sensitive or confidential information and situations, demonstrating poise, tact and diplomacy with a positive attitude.
- Ability to engage and correspond with stakeholders from diverse cultures.
- Ability to travel domestically or overseas if needed (a maximum of 5 days during the year).
- Commitment to both OSF’s and OEF’s vision and values.
How to apply: