Location: London, UK
Organization: Shiva Foundation
Shiva Foundation is a Meenal and Rishi Sachdev Foundation (MRS Foundation) initiative. MRS Foundation is a corporate foundation that aims to promote human rights through awareness raising, public education and partnerships. Shiva Foundation was set up in 2014 with the aim of tackling and preventing human trafficking and modern slavery in the UK. Our mission is to foster collaboration between and increase the capacity of organisations working to prevent exploitation and support survivors. One area we do this is with business; we believe that if we can harness the power and influence of business, we can create an anti-trafficking movement that has the resources and capacity to fight this crime.
Shiva Foundation is seeking Programme Manager to oversee the organisation’s core programmes. The role will involve working with the Managing Director to strengthen the anti-trafficking response within the UK and to implement Shiva Foundation’s new strategy.
This role will consist of managing Shiva Foundation’s programmes, which focus on addressing root causes of modern slavery and shifting corporate practice towards normalised ethical behaviour. While some of the programmes of work are well established, new areas will emerge and therefore you should have experience with programme design as well as implementation. You should have knowledge of the issue of human trafficking and be passionate about tackling gross human rights violations by individuals and corporates. The small team environment means that this role involves significant responsibility as well as the opportunity to collaborate and interact with a diverse set of senior external stakeholders. You must be comfortable with a steep learning curve and significant responsibility from the outset. Specifically, the Programme Manager’s duties include:
Programme development and management
● Designing programmes to implement the new strategy in partnership with the Managing Director.
● Conducting mapping and research for new programmes of work in collaboration with and with the support of the Knowledge & Impact Manager (conducting interviews, running focus groups and roundtables, etc.).
● Managing the outreach and uptake of Shiva Foundation tools, such as the Blueprint, and responsibility for their development and improvement in collaboration with key stakeholders.
- Leading on a holistic social responsibility programme for the hotel industry.
● Writing or contributing to the drafting of timely and effective reports, briefings, position papers, correspondence, action materials, press releases and other internal and external documents.
● Consulting for Shiva Hotels by tracking and assisting on the development of internal policies, guidance and training to detect and tackle human trafficking.
- Supporting on other programmes as required.
- Recruiting and line managing staff and volunteers.
● Liaising with a diverse set of stakeholders within the UK, and in Europe when required, in order to promote the organisation’s work.
● Developing and maintaining effective constituencies of public and confidential contacts and partners in and outside of the organisation to optimise information gathering and the development and implementation of effective strategies and plans.
- Deputising for the Managing Director when required.
● Coordinating relevant activities for the Stop Slavery Hotel Industry Network, helping guide its direction and ensuring efficient meetings and Network outputs.
● Maintaining the www.stopslaverynetwork.org website, ensuring the resource hub is kept up-to-date and relevant and establishing relationships for its growth.
● Sitting on the Shiva Hotels Anti-Trafficking Committee and liaising with external contacts on its behalf when required.
Knowledge and Experience:
● An undergraduate or graduate degree in international development, law or other relevant discipline;
● A minimum of 3 years of progressive experience in a project/programme management role for a similar organisation;
- Experience working with senior level business representatives;
● Experience coordinating multi-stakeholder projects and facilitating work with a wide range of groups and sectors;
● Experience planning and implementing collaborative workshops, meetings and other activities;
● Demonstrated ability to organise events with multiple stakeholders to a high standard;
- Ability to think strategically and identify new opportunities and initiatives;
● Proven experience planning, prioritising and juggling multiple demands, and openness and flexibility to take on different administrative and support tasks;
● Experience of managing conflicting demands, meeting deadlines and adjusting priorities;
● Ability to manage a heavy and varied workload effectively, to maintain high levels of both accuracy and output;
● Management and leadership skills demonstrated by evidence of leading high performing teams and working with individuals at all levels;
- Effective public speaking skills;
- Ability to work unsupervised;
- Knowledge of the anti-human trafficking sector in the UK;
- Ability to relate well within a multi-cultural context and with various stakeholders;
- Demonstrated commitment to Shiva Foundation’s mission, vision and values; and
- Permission to live and work in the UK.
How to apply:
Please register your interest by emailing email@example.com with a:
- brief cover letter (no more than 1 page), CV, and writing sample of maximum 1000 words - this can be anything you have written in the past including articles, blogs or reports and does not need to be on the topic of human trafficking.