Deadline: Until filled
Organization: Synergía - Initiatives for Human Rights
Synergía - Initiatives for Human Rights is a recently established human rights nongovernmental organization. While the organization is new, its team of human rights defenders based in the US, Latin America and Africa has been leading in the field for more than ten years. Its founding board is composed of human rights experts who have been leaders internationally for decades. Synergía seeks to protect and promote the human rights of all people – particularly those whose rights are most systematically and egregiously violated, with a range of programs that address violations that are motivated by one’s sexual orientation, gender identity, and/or gender expression (SOGIE). Synergía partners with local lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and intersex (LGBTI) civil society organizations (CSOs) and human rights defenders (HRDs) to advocate for LGBTI persons’ human rights across Latin America and the Caribbean, West and Central Africa, and the Middle East and Northern Africa. Synergía blends capacity strengthening and grassroots re-granting in three interrelated and interdependent thematic areas of work: movement building, security and protections, and rights and advocacy.
Synergía is seeking a motivated and skilled Program Assistant. The Program Assistant will responsible for supporting program implementation, with particular focus on subgrant management, program development, and administrative and financial support tasks. This includes working with the Director of Programs to issue and manage subgrants to partner organizations; to work with program staff in identifying program needs and translating these needs into funding proposals; to work with program staff in capturing programmatic progress and translating this information into reports to Synergía’s donors and board of directors; and to assist programmatic and finance staff with administrative and financial tasks. The Program Assistant will report to the Director of Programs.
Roles and responsibilities.
The Program Assistant will:
- Liaise with program staff to capture programmatic objectives and activities that will be funded through Synergía subawards;
- Lead the drafting of subgrant agreements to partner organizations;
- Monitor and ensure the timely implementation of disbursements and reporting schedule, liaising with program staff, the Senior Accountant, and subgrant recipients;
- Monitor monthly financial statements for accuracy in transaction coding and burn rates of program budgets;
- Collect, consolidate, and analyze data for internal and external programmatic information sharing purposes and reports;
- Arrange travel, insurance, and contracts for staff, consultants, and partners participating in international assignments;
- Procure relevant equipment, materials, and supplies;
- Assist in information technology needs and website development / maintenance;
- Support program and finance staff with follow-up actions related to any audit findings;
- Support the development of program proposals with the Synergía management team;
- Coordinate with the program team to create useful marketing materials for potential and current donors;
- Lead the preparation, review and submission of required progress reports to donors, schedules, and other related work products;
- Ensure that the auditable files (paper and electronic) of all awards are maintained, up to date, complete, and easily accessible according to Synergía’s filing system;
- Support other staff in the development of curricula for capacity building activities;
- Edit program material as needed;
- Other duties, as assigned.
A successful candidate must have:
- Bachelor’s Degree or foreign equivalent in relevant field, including but not limited to public policy, international affairs, public health, gender/sexuality studies, international development, business administration; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of two years of administrative experience or project coordination experience developing, reviewing, and tracking budgets and burn rates. High proficiency with Microsoft Office;
- Excellent writing skills in English. Speaking abilities in a second foreign language (preferable French or Spanish) strongly preferred;
- Excellent organizational skills. Ability to work remotely with little on-site support. Be detail-oriented and have the ability to multi-task.
The salary will be commensurate with experience. Synergía – Initiatives for Human Rights offers its employees excellent benefits including health insurance, life insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance, a retirement plan, and generous allocations of vacation, sick leave, and holidays. Benefits may vary depending on the location of the candidate.
How to apply:
Send a cover letter, together with a resume, and two references to email@example.com, subject line: Program Assistant.