Program and Development Associate
Deadline: Until filled
Location: New York, NY, USA
MADRE is an international women’s human rights organization that works in partnership with community-based women's organizations on the frontlines of conflict, climate breakdown and injustice to address issues of gender violence, peacebuilding, climate chaos, environmental degradation, health and reproductive rights, economic development and other human rights. We provide resources and training to enable our grassroots partners to meet these goals by addressing immediate needs in their communities and developing long-term solutions to the crises they face. We work towards a world in which all people enjoy the fullest range of individual and collective human rights; in which resources are shared equitably and sustainably; in which women participate effectively in all aspects of society; and in which people have a meaningful say in decisions that affect their lives.
Reporting to the Program and Development Manager, the Program and Development Associate provides support for MADRE’s institutional fundraising program and helps to develop and grow MADRE’s pipeline of prospective institutional donors, including foundation, corporate, multilateral organization and government donors. The Program and Development Associate is responsible for assisting with all institutional funder-related activities and works collaboratively across Development and Program teams to achieve institutional funding goals and overall organizational revenue goals. The Program and Development Associate will be an integral member of the Development team.
Primary roles and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide administrative support for the institutional fundraising program, including:
- Assist Program and Development Manager and Coordinator, as well as Director of Development and Senior Leadership, to cultivate, solicit and steward institutional funders through written communications, regular updates, phone calls and in-person meetings; potentially manage a personal portfolio of institutional funders.
- Research, identify and evaluate institutional funding prospects (e.g. routinely using Foundation Directory Online, as well as other databases and publications where funding opportunities and Requests for Proposals are posted) and facilitate outreach to prospects in coordination with the Program and Development Manager.
- Work across teams to write compelling letters of inquiry, concept notes, grant proposals and high-impact program reports and updates to institutional funders and prospects, including developing supplemental materials such as program and project budgets.
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date institutional prospect pipeline, including moves management.
- Organize and maintain accurate institutional donor records in Salesforce database and ensure best practice data management.
- Prepare for and facilitate weekly institutional meetings with Director of Development; staff additional meetings across teams, as necessary.
- Support other development projects as assigned.
Key Qualifications and Experience:
- Demonstrated commitment to women’s, girls’ and LGBTIQ human rights and MADRE’s mission.
- Bachelor's Degree required and Master’s Degree or equivalent preferred in relevant fields/themes including, but not limited to: human rights; women or gender studies; international development/affairs; environment; political science, policy and/or history.
- Minimum one to two years related non-profit experience, preferably in development; experience in grant writing/reporting strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to excellence and high standards, including meticulous attention to detail and proofreading ability, excellent writing and editing skills and oral and written communication skills, and strong interpersonal skills with ability to interact with a diverse and broad range of individuals.
- Ability to understand and synthesize quantitative and qualitative program information.
- Strong initiative; ability to assume significant project management responsibility.
- Excels at working both independently and as part of a team; demonstrated experience in working collaboratively.
- Comfort with and ability to manage up; strong ability to track and report on progress with limited supervision.
- Ability to work well under pressure, multi-task as well as prioritize and organize work to effectively balance multiple assignments, set priorities and meet strict deadlines.
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills required; proficiency in Salesforce or other similar donor database highly desirable.
- Proficiency in French, Spanish or Arabic in addition to English a plus.
- Salary range starts at $40,000 commensurate with skills and experience.
MADRE is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices based on a person's race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, age, ability and other status, and in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool. We appreciate all applicants, but please be advised that our capacity allows us to only respond to those candidates best qualified for the position.
How to apply:
To apply, submit a cover letter, resume and 1-2 short writing samples (professional or scholarly) to InstitutionalAssociate@madre.org.
Include “Program and Development Associate” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.