Professional development programme for gender trainers
Date:23 October 2017 to 30 April 2018
Location: Online + workshops in Amsterdam, NetherlandsRegistration:
This six-month certified programme, offered by KIT and UN Women Training Centre, aims to
- sharpen training skills and knowledge of gender and development concepts as a gender equality trainer
- enable participants to better employ learning and knowledge strategies
- support participants to re-claim training for gender equality as a political feminist process
- renew participants as a gender equality trainer and their commitment to gender training as a transformatory process
Using a combination of lectures, guest presentations and practical activities and assignments, the programme strengthens trainers’ capacities in three inter-related domains:
- Conceptual Depth and Clarity: gender and development theory and practice in various themes; and global approaches to gender in development
- Feminist Practices: gender knowledge and knowledge making and power; reflexivity; change and resistance; and global governance of development and client relations
- Training Skills and Methods: training design, delivery and evaluation; communication skills; and learner-centred pedagogy
The programme employs blended design including face-to-face workshops, virtual seminars as well as mentoring and networking.
The programme works in a co-creation process with experienced gender trainers from both the global south and north who
- have a minimum of three years of training experience on gender issues.
- have knowledge of gender and development and gender in public policy.
- have an institutional affiliation/experience: UN agencies, international and national NGOs, national governments, academia, etc.
- demonstrate commitment to completing the six-month process of professional development.
- Participant pre-programme preparation: October 1 – 23, 2017
- Programme: October 23, 2017 to April 30, 2018
Module dates and location
Two face-to-face one-week workshops in Amsterdam, Netherlands:
- Module 1: October 23-27, 2017
- Module 3: April 16-20, 2018
- Moderated on-line sessions. Module 2: January 16, 2018 to February 13, 2018
- Virtual mentoring and networking: October 30, 2017 to April 13, 2018
Venue and Accommodations
- Workshops are at KIT’s meeting facilities in Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Accommodations are participants’ responsibility with KIT providing coordination support. Options include KIT Amsterdam Tropen Hotel, shared accommodations and participants’ own arrangements.
Since the Beijing World Conference on Women in 1995, gender training remains a key policy and programme response to address a wide range of perceived needs to make gender mainstreaming happen. In many respects, it has become a cure-all to address the many challenges gender mainstreaming entails. Seen as a missing element, repeated calls for gender training reflect a ‘more of the same but better’ approach to addressing the limitations of gender mainstreaming (Milward et al., 2015).