Organizational Development Advisor (French)
Location: Parakou, Benin
Organization: Cuso International
- Beginning date Nov 2019 - Jan 2020 (flexible)
- Duration of the assignment 6 Months
- Open to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada only
Role of the volunteer cooperant
As part of its new project on gender-based violence, including female genital mutilation in northern Benin, Cuso International has developed a new partnership with the non-governmental organization APEM. As the first assignment with this organization, the purpose of this assignment is first to carry out an organizational diagnosis of the NGO APEM in order to assess the capacities of the organization and to allow the organization and Cuso International to identify mechanisms to improve the planning and management of projects and initiatives of the NGO APEM to improve the statue, rights and conditions of women and girls.
The Volunteer-Cooperant will have to carry out the following activities:
- Engage and guide the NGO APEM in an organizational self-assessment process
- To support the NGO APEM in the development of electronic archiving tools for goods / materials / equipment and services
- Accompany the NGO APEM in the process of development and drafting of strategic plan
- Accompany the NGO APEM in the implementation of the actions focused on the results
- To support the NGO APEM in the development of any other organizational aspect identified in the diagnosis
Essential academic skills:
- University degree in organizational development, management, program evaluation or any other relevant field
Experience / Essential Professional Skills:
- At least five years of experience in organizational development, strategic planning or management
- Experience in capacity building
- Ability to work with few resources and as a member of a team
- Experience working with non-profit organizations
About Cuso International and our partner
Cuso International is an international development agency dedicated to reducing poverty and inequality with the help of highly skilled volunteers, local partners and generous donors. Each year, we mobilize hundreds of professional volunteer volunteers who work with our local partners based in Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Caribbean, and Canada to bring about positive and lasting change. Founded in 1961, Cuso International is committed to solving the most pressing development issues.
Association for the Protection of Childhood Malhereuse
The Association for the Protection of Unhappy Childhood (APEM) is an NGO for the promotion and protection of the rights of children (girls & boys), the empowerment of women and the protection / rehabilitation of soils (environment) , based in Parakou, Benin, Dopkarou district. It was created in March 1993 and is composed of 8 permanent employees. Its mission is to work for the protection of children by fighting for the respect of all its rights.
The NGO APEM intervenes in several fields namely: Promotion of human rights; Protection and promotion of the rights of the child; Reintegration and schooling of children; Social and community development; Water and hygiene and sanitation promotion; New computer communication technologies; Nutrition; Primary health and local development; gardening; Environment and Agro Forestry; Adoption and sponsorship of orphans and children in difficulty; rights and violence based on gender.
Since its creation, APEM has received funding from several partners / donors. Among them, USAID, UNICEF Benin, World Education / USAID, Care International, World Bank, GIZ, Follereau Foundation of Luxembourg (FFL), German Foreign Office (GTZ), US Government, European Union, Government of Benin, German Cooperation West African Monetary Union (UEMOA), EDUCO.
In terms of networking, the NGO APEM is a member of the Network of Beninese Organizations for Health (ROBS); Network of Protection Structures and the Promotion of the Rights of the Child (RESPEDE); Liaison Committee of the Social Organizations for the Defense of the Rights of the Child (CLOSE), Departmental Cell for the Protection of Children of Borgou-Alibori; Communal Committees for the Protection of the Child in the communes of Borgou-Alibori departments; Platform for the participation of women in decision-making bodies (PFID-BENIN); Forum of Civil Society Organizations for the Defense of Children's Rights in Benin (FODDEB); Leader Borgou Theme Pool 1 (Social Affairs, Early Childhood, Senior Citizens, People with Disabilities, Education, Education and Citizenship, Gender Equality).
Terms and conditions
The assignment conditions of Cuso International ensure a healthy and modest lifestyle that will allow you to work effectively. This financial support, which is used to cover basic living expenses in the field, does not include the personal expenses of the volunteer-volunteer in the country (loans, alimony, etc.) or luxury goods during the assignment ( import products and personal travel, for example).
- Moderate monthly living allowance (varies by country of assignment).
- Accommodation on the ground.
- Return ticket, visa and residence permit.
- Health insurance, compulsory and antimalarial vaccines required.
- Pre-departure training and orientation in the field.
- Travel and accommodation expenses for the reintegration weekend.
- Employee Assistance Program (During and After Assignment).
- Travel and accommodation expenses for pre-departure training and orientation in the field (more details below).
We ask volunteer volunteers, regardless of the length of their assignment, to raise $ 2,000. We accompany all our volunteers in their efforts to help them achieve their fundraising goal. A volunteer volunteer who chooses not to raise funds or does not meet their funding goal may make a one-time donation or join our monthly giving program to support our mission.
How to apply: