Deadline: Until filled
Location: New York or Washington, USA
Organization: American Civil Liberties Union Foundation
For nearly 100 years, the ACLU has been our nation’s guardian of liberty, working in courts, legislatures, and communities to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Whether it’s ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBT community, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to vote or the right to have an abortion, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach. With more than a million members, activists, and supporters, the ACLU is a nationwide organization that fights tirelessly in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and Washington, D.C., for the principle that every individual’s rights must be protected equally under the law, regardless of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, record of arrest or conviction.
The ACLU is seeking a full-time Online Campaigner to join our Online Engagement unit of the Digital Department in New York or in Washington, D.C.
The Online Campaigner develops and executes campaigns to mobilize the ACLU’s 2.8+ million supporters and donors using email, web, social media, and other digital platforms. The Online Campaigner reports to the Email and Online Campaigns Manager in the Online Engagement Unit of the Digital Department. Working with experts across the organization in all issue areas, the Online Campaigner devises campaign strategies and tactics to increase the number of ACLU supporters and donors, expand engagement with these audiences, maximize online contributions, and support the organization in achieving policy goals and outcomes through targeted digital advocacy efforts. The Online Campaigner has extensive experience writing and generating campaign content and possesses a keen understanding of effective advocacy and engagement tactics and list growth strategies. This is an excellent opportunity for a creative writer and organizer to be a part of an innovative team that runs aggressive online campaigns on the most pressing civil rights and liberties issues of our time.
The ACLU has made an unambiguous and unwavering commitment to the importance of communications as a central and essential element in the success of its mission. The organization places great emphasis on the role of communications in framing the debate on its issues, building support, and increasing the impact of its work.
Roles & Responsibilities
· Identify opportunities for high-impact digital engagement and advocacy campaigns.
· Write and edit compelling campaign content including emails, social media posts, landing pages and actions to engage supporters to take action and participate in campaigns.
· Develop petitions, messages to elected officials, call actions, and other engagement tactics.
· Design and implement test plans, metrics and segmentation for A/B and multivariate split tests for email, social media, and website content.
· Liaise with key Communications, Development, Advocacy, and Program staff to establish campaign goals, develop campaign concepts, and review content.
· Code and test HTML and CSS emails using email management software; review and edit emails to ensure quality.
· Develop list-building tactics using web, social media, and email communications.
· Monitor news and current events for our priority issue areas as well as ACLU activities to identify potential campaign opportunities.
· Conduct research for new technologies and tactics for online engagement as needed.
· Hold relationships with partner organization campaigners and digital engagement staff and identify opportunities for collaboration.
· Work with vendors, consultants and contractors to implement online campaigns.
· Assist with weekend web and social media publishing as part of a rotating coverage schedule.
· Contribute to a culture of continuous, data-driven learning and evaluation.
· Commitment to the mission and goals of the ACLU.
· Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance, record of arrest or conviction.
· Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts.
Experience And Qualifications
· A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience and a minimum of one year experience in nonprofit communications, online campaigning, or related fields is required.
· Experience developing content for issue-based or political advocacy campaigns; familiarity with a range of online campaigning tools, tactics and strategies.
· Excellent verbal, writing and interpersonal communication skills; strong attention to detail, ability to write and deliver work product under deadlines, and commitment to high quality standards.
· Proficient using HTML and CSS to code emails for multiple email clients
· Basic content management system and email management system experience. Drupal, Springboard, and Selligent experience preferred.
· Understanding of trends and best practices for online campaigning, and best practices for communicating via email, Facebook, and Twitter required; experience using social media trend analysis tools is preferred. Experience with web and email analytics preferred.
The ACLU offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and within the parameters of the ACLU compensation scale.
How to apply:
Please submit a cover letter and resume to: hrjobsCOMM@aclu.org - reference [COMM-52] in the subject line. Please note that this is not the general ACLU applicant email address. This email address is specific to the Communications Department.
In order to ensure your application is received please make certain it is sent to the correct e-mail address. You can expect to receive an automatic response that acknowledges the submission of application materials.
Please indicate in your letter of interest where you learned of this career opportunity.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.