New York Fossil Free Campaigner
Location: New York, USA
350.org is building a global grassroots movement to solve the climate crisis. Our online campaigns, grassroots organizing, and mass public actions are led from the bottom up by thousands of volunteer organizers. 350.org works hard to organize in a new way, using online tools to facilitate strategic offline action. We want to be a laboratory for the best ways to strengthen the climate movement and catalyze transformation in our energy and political systems. The values that guide and drive our work are listed here.
350.org is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to be an inclusive and collaborative group of people who bring a variety of approaches to the work we do. We’re committed to the principles of justice, and we try to build a safe workplace where everyone is treated fairly and enjoys working together. We value new perspectives, ideas of all sorts, and different ways of working. Diverse perspectives and experiences improve the way 350.org carries out our work – including what we decide to work on and how creatively/effectively we do that. We do our best to make staff positions accessible to all potential team members, regardless of race, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, assigned gender, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or identity, religion or creed, veteran status, marital or parental status, and genetic information. We also strive to include team members in communities most impacted by climate change or impacted by other kinds of environmental, social, and economic injustice.
About the New York Fossil Free Campaigner:
This campaigner will run an innovative and strategic campaign, working closely with climate partners, to make New York a leader on fighting climate change. The ideal candidate will be a strategic thinker, an experienced and successful campaigner, a solid project manager, skilled with digital platforms, and a talented writer.
- Campaign planning and implementation
- Developing relationships with current and prospective partner organizations across NY state, securing their engagement in Fossil Free New York plans
- Building and strengthening a Fossil Free New York coalition
- Initiating and organizing events and pickets and supporting and recruiting to partner-led events
- Recruiting and maintaining a core group of diverse volunteers for online and offline activities, including phone and text banking
- Writing and contributing to blogs, email blasts, letters to the editor, and media releases. Writing and project managing the production of event specific materials
- Developing relationships with key elected officials and staff
- Acting as a campaign spokesperson, developing relationships with key media
- Travel around New York State
- 3+ years campaign experience.
- Experience working closely with partners including building out effective and nimble coalitions.
- Experience recruiting, coordinating and energizing diverse teams of offline and online volunteers.
- Creativity and comfort with experimenting with new tools and tactics, and a sharp instinct for finding creative opportunities to build campaign momentum or get a message across.
- Access to reliable transportation to travel around the state.
- Excitement to engage in and support the organization's commitment to advancing and creating an equitable and inclusive work culture.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Comfort working in a fast-paced environment with team members who are often remote.
- Excellent time management skills and commitment to healthy work-life balance.
Additional Desired Qualifications
- Knowledge of political context in New York State, with existing relationships to progressive and climate organizations in New York.
- Spanish proficiency
- Experience recruiting for mass mobilizations, days of action or town halls.
- Experience with using and engaging in peaceful civil disobedience
- Experience using social media (e.g. Twitter, Instagram, Facebook) for an organization or campaign.
- Experience at the intersection of online and offline organizing, mobilization, and direct action.
- Experience working in communities of color and frontline communities
We are looking for someone who is comfortable working both independently and in teams, highly responsive, and able to lead initiatives as well as take direction from others. You will be joining a global organization with great, future opportunities to work nationally and internationally.
Temporary Full-Time Employee. 6 month contract with option to extend.
How to apply: