National Professional English Language Teacher
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
Organization: UN Women
Grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, UN Women works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women's rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates UN System efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It will provide strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States' priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
UN Women is dedicated to advancing gender equality and women’s empowerment in Afghanistan. Staff and consultants of UN Women Afghanistan Country Office (ACO) are expected to contribute to a professional working environment in which the strengthening of national capacities and human potential is prioritized. Respect for diversity and human dignity is required, as is the active pursuit of a collaborative and inclusive approach to both internal and external stakeholders, including colleagues and partners. To ensure greater cohesion between the program areas, UN Women works through the three programme priorities, i.e. Elimination of Violence against Women (EVAW), Political and Economic and Empowerment (PEEP) and Coordination and Advocacy (CAP).
UN Women has been actively supporting the Government of Islamic Republic of Afghanistan (GOIRA) line ministries in strengthening institutional capacity and some selected areas of functional skills like English language and pedagogical. Ministry of Women’s Affairs (MoWA) Minister and Policy Technical Deputy Minister (DTM) are engaged in daily English conversations, writing communications, reading materials in which their knowledge, level of understanding and communicating in English is a recurrent task. Therefore; to strengthen their official communication skills with national and international stakeholders and to deliver outputs in English, this identified need has made it necessary to improve their existing level of understating English and ability to interact and communicate more accurately, confidently and effetely with international partners in various social and working contexts.
This ToR is intended to outline the terms and conditions to hire a part-time English language teacher to provide regular English lessons for MoWA Minister and Policy Technical Deputy Minister. The main responsibility of the teacher is to help them to understand English related to their job and focusing on their developing business English language skills. The most important focus will be on building professional and business English skills related to the needs of MoWA and relevant to the staff duties including report-writing and professional vocabulary. The incumbent will be required to develop relevant lesson plans and homework assignments, track individual progress, monitor and support the overall progress of them.
Under the overall supervision of the CAP Deputy Program Manager. In addition, for attaining synergy the consultant will also coordinate with MoWA Technical and Policy Deputy Minister.
- Be innovative, flexible and able to provide clear advice to counterparts as to methods and approaches to overcome difficulties if encountered;
- A team player with ability to promote consensus by advocating, promoting and inspiring others to form alliances for common goals in multicultural environment;
- Ability to think conceptually and flexibly, capacity to adapt, innovate and propose solution to complex issues within a difficult and changing environment;
- Ability to prioritize and complete the task in a very limited time span under pressure;
- Good presentation and interpersonal skills
- Understanding of UN Women procedures, rules and regulations an asset;
- Ability to work effectively as a team member.
- Demonstrated sensitivity, discretion, tact and courtesy in relation to gender equality and women’s rights, development principles and projects, implementing partners, and national and international personnel of varied nationalities and backgrounds.
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral
- Commitment to upholding the organizational values and principles of UN Women
Required Skills and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in English language (Teaching English to Speakers of other languages), with 6 years of professional relevant work experience will be considered. In-depth experience in developing teaching curriculum with extensive and proven experience in teaching English to professionals.
How to apply: