Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Advisor for the Thematic Unit Conflict & Fragility
Location: The Hague, The Netherlands
Organization: Oxfam Novib
Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty. All our work is led by three core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness. To read more about our values please click here.
We are looking for a Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Advisor for the Thematic Unit Conflict & Fragility
A thematic unit develops and implements multi-country and multi-regional projects according to Oxfam’s programmatic approach, in which campaigning, lobby/influencing, development and humanitarian programming, capacity building of Country Offices and partners, private sector work and delivery are combined. Within the thematic unit Conflict & Fragility, we are looking for a Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Advisor to support the thematic unit, including Oxfam country offices, in the monitoring and evaluation of projects and programs.
Objectives of the position
The objective of the position is to ensure that quality Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) plans are designed and properly implemented for (large-scale) projects falling under the Thematic Unit. The MEL support includes the development of proposals for new programs, as well supporting existing programs. Existing programs include the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs-funded Strategic Partnership within the Dialogue and Dissent framework and the Addressing Root Causes (ARC) country programs. The position also provides on demand capacity building support to Oxfam field offices on MEL methodologies in conflict-affected and fragile states. Oxfam Novib is a project organisation. This means that MEL Advisors, like other staff, can be moved to or support other teams/projects as per need and in relation to funding available.
- MEL support during program/proposal development and design, such as development of Theories of Change, log frames, learning agenda, MEL plans and frameworks.
- Lead design of MEL plans (in collaboration with Country Office MEL Advisors) for existing programs/projects during start-up phase.
- Support country offices and partners to implement MEL methodologies, such as outcome harvesting, in projects.
- Oversee the process, and liaise with external consultants, during external program/project mid-term and final evaluations.
- Coordinate the cross-organisational collection, synthesis and analysis of results and data to facilitate reporting on Oxfam’s current global monitoring framework.
- Contribute to innovation within Oxfam Novib by bringing (and experimenting with) innovative MEL methodologies that are relevant for diverse and complex settings.
- Training of staff (and partner organisations) on embedding quality MEL into major institutionally funded programs/projects. This will imply travelling to countries that need specific training or support.
Main requirements for the job
- Have a master’s or bachelor’s degree in a field relevant to development aid (e.g. relevant social sciences).
- Technical expertise in and practical working experience with monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL), including final project/program evaluations at outcome level. Experience with MEL in conflict-affected and fragile states is a plus.
- Good understanding of MEL methodologies appropriate for influencing and campaigning, such as Outcome Harvesting and story gathering through Sprockler.
- You have experience working in international development organisations and/or (global) networks.
- You work in a result-orientated manner and you have strong planning and organisational skills.
- You are able to coordinate and lead external and internal processes and have strong organisational skills.
- Strong experience and good understanding of facilitating learning including experience in designing and delivering trainings as well as knowledge management.
- You work well in a team and have outstanding social and intercultural skills.
- Knowledge of conflict sensitivity and Do No Harm.
- Result orientation - The formulation of results to be attained from the objectives of Oxfam Novib, in terms of quality and quantity (formulated SMARTly). The basis for managing through decisive actions and evaluations.
- Co-operation - To contribute actively to a joint result, also when there is no direct self-interest of a functional or personal nature. To build bridges and find common ground from cultural differences.
- Entrepreneurial - Signals opportunities, acts on them and in doing so dares to take responsible risks
- Planning & Organisation - From a set target, to determine priorities and indicate a ranking of activities and needed resources.
- Written Communication - To communicate in writing ideas, opinions and information to others, using a language that is correct and understandable to the reader and/or target group.
- Networking - To develop and maintain internal and external relationships, at the national and international levels, with individuals and organisations that have or can have a function for Oxfam Novib.
- Creativity - To find original solutions to problems, new work methods. To table innovative ideas.
How to apply:
Only nationals from a EU Member State and/or who have a valid work permit for the European Union are requested to apply.