Moderators for international web Community on Female Genital Mutilation
Deadline: Until filled
Location: Africa (flexible)
Organization: GAMS Belgium
GAMS Belgium, coordinator of the CoP FGM, is recruiting 2 consultants for the function of moderator of the Community of Practice on FGM. One person should be English-speaking and the other French-speaking, working knowledge in the other language is desirable. Both persons should be based in Africa (preferably country part of the UNFPA-UNICEF Joint programme on FGM, see document attached)
The Community of Practice on Female Genital Mutilation (CoP FGM) is piloted by GAMS Belgium and was founded in 2016 as a part of the « Building bridges between Africa and Europe to End FGM ». This project is financed by the Joint programme on FGM of the UNFPA-UNICEF and is coordinated by the Italian organisation for women in development (AIDOS).
A Community of Practice (CoP) is a « group of persons who share a common interest or passion for something that they do and who interact regularly in order to learn how to do it better ».
The issue of this Community of Practice is Female Genital Mutilation, also known as Female Genital
Mutilation/Cutting (FGM/C), female circumcision, excision or non-therapeutic female genital cutting, among others.
The goal of the CoP FGM is the abandonment of female genital mutilation (FGM) and the promotion of the well-being and human rights of women and girls. The Community of practice enables professionals and activists to exchange within the frame of mutual learning and to improve their actions of prevention, advocacy and care for concerned persons, as well as related policies.
The CoP’s functions mainly through an online email list (Google group).
The specific objectives are:
- Favour the exchange of knowledge, experiences, information and tools between stakeholders in Europe and Africa, in a horizontal and intersectoral perspective and at a local and international level;
- Identify good practices and make research more accessible, in order to improve the quality of prevention and care of persons affected by FGM, as well as related policies;
- Feed into advocacy on national and international policy.
Every month a Debate topic is proposed within the Community of Practice. For this sake, desk-research is done on the topic.
The web community moderator will work together (online) with other moderators, in Europe and Africa, and with the Project manager, to ensure the day-to-day management of the CoP. Activities are organised online, a good internet connection is necessary. Moderators should be able to travel in Africa and in Europe to represent the CoP and participate in meetings or trainings with the Project team.
The moderator reports to the Project Manager of the CoP FGM and to the Director of GAMS Belgium.
- General online moderation of the CoP FGM group (google group)
- Implementation of Thematic discussions (desk reserach, drafting of note, moderation of discussion)
- Online Communication and Dissemination
- Organisation of Events and Meetings
Please read the job description before applying and answer specific questions in your application.
How to apply:
If interested, please apply by sending a CV and a motivation letter in English to firstname.lastname@example.org answering the following questions:
- What is your knowledge of Gender based violence and FGM in particular?
- Are you a member of the CoP?
- What are your thoughts on possible ways to develop the participation of different stakeholders within the Community?
- Please give an example of a topic which could be discussed in the CoP, why is this topic interesting, do you know of possible experts who could participate in such a discussion?
- What is your knowledge of French? Do you speak other languages?