Manager of Operations
Organization: Women on Web International Foundation
Women on Web International Foundation, a Canadian non-profit, is looking for a Manager of Operations who can provide leadership for the operation of Women on Web. T
he Manager of Operations must be a good communicator; know how to motivate people; cultivate a collaborative working environment and have strong, demonstrated management skills. The operational manager will be responsible for day to day management and control as well as for executing the goals and objectives of the organization. The Operations Manager will implement strategies established by the Executive Director and by the board of directors. The Manager of Operations will continually evaluate the effectiveness of all operations; maintain effective personnel structure; coordinate major activities; and represent the Organization to regulatory bodies, agencies, community and civic organizations, donors, funders, supporters, and the general public.
Women on Web international is a non-profit corporation incorporated in Canada with the mission to improve people's sexual health and rights and to support access to safe abortions where needed. To support its mission, Women on Web operates a telemedical abortion service, provides education, supports awareness activities and conducts scientific research. Women on Web has working relationships with many people and partners from around the world. Women on Web is highly successful and dynamic. It is very much in the public eye—both famous and notorious.
The Manager of Operations, reporting primarily to the Executive Director as well as to the board, will be a member of the management team, and responsible for creating and implementing operations policies and procedures; developing and managing IT, human resources, and financial systems; and coordinating internal operations and updates of and adherence to organizational policies. The manager of operations will work in close collaboration with the helpdesk coordinators, medical director, Executive Director and others to enable effective and efficient administration and operations.
- Provide inspired leadership for the organization and lead the organization to achieve organizational goals.
- Oversee and maintain the critical systems (Finance, HR, and IT) functions.
- Work with the ED and board to determine values and mission and assist in the development of strategic plans for operational activity, policy, planning, and strategy decisions.
Operations and Policy
- Work as part of the management team to ensure strong coordination of organizational work planning and work priorities.
- Draw up an annual plan for the staff based on management plans;
- Mentor staff, promote staff retention and maintain internal discipline and morale.
- Implement and manage operational and outreach plans.
- Develop, implement, oversee, review and improve operational policies and procedures as determined in support of organizational goals and in keeping with the relevant legislation.
- Ensure security, network infrastructure, resource allocation, and to maintain disaster recovery and business continuity plan.
- Supervise and ensure highest quality service provision.
- Supervise finances and oversee annual audit compliance
- Ensure compliance with laws and regulations
- Prepare and monitor the operational budgets
- Monitor the implementation of the annual plan,
- Develop, lead and implement Human Resource policy, including recruitment and selection, annual reviews and education and act as primary liaison
- Oversee all service level agreements to ensure smooth operations
- Conduct compensation reviews of positions on a routine basis
Experience and Basic Qualifications:
- Minimum five (5) years of management/leadership working in operations in the NGO sector or at the grassroots or mid-size level.
- Degree in a related field or equivalent training and experience; advanced degree considered an asset.
- HR certificate or accounting designation.
- A very high level of written and spoken fluency in English; other foreign languages considered an asset.
- Commitment to mission and values of Women on Web International Foundation
- The ability to work alone and take a lead when hurdles arise or when tasks require completion
- Advanced critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Adapting to the ever-changing environment and reacting quickly to meet challenges.
- Stress tolerance
- Ability to live with and respond to intense controversy
- Experience in interpersonal communication, conflict resolution, and mediation skills
- Demonstrated management and leadership skills, including working with varied levels of staff, budgeting, delegation, staff development, resource allocation planning, and performance management
- Excellent communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to lead, collaborate, communicate, influence, and partner effectively
- Ability to build consensus and relationships within organization
- Solid understanding of financial management
- Proven ability and proficiency with online bookkeeping systems; MS Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint especially), and willingness to acquire experience with other systems as needed
- Experience working for abortion services or sexual and reproductive health and rights organization or experience managing in the not-for-profit/charitable sector
- Assertiveness and strong drive to develop those around you
- Demonstrated integrity, dependability, responsibility, accountability, self-awareness, work ethic, and empathy;
- Ability to effectively communicate and work with team members in different countries and with different levels of responsibility;
- Willingness to travel (10-20% of the time) and work often outside of normal business hours.
- Eligible to work in Canada.
How to apply:
Application Deadline: 2020-01-22 (or Until filled)
Applications should include a letter of no more than two pages expressing your interest, and a detailed resume. These should be in PDF format and attached to an email sent to Women on Web International Foundation attention: Rebecca Gomperts at the following email address: email@example.com and copied to: firstname.lastname@example.org