Manager of Major Gifts
Deadline: Until filled
Location: New York, NY, USA
MADRE is an international women's human rights organization that partners with community based women's groups worldwide facing war, disaster, and their aftermath. MADRE works towards a world in which all people enjoy the fullest range of individual and collective human rights; resources are shared equitably and sustainably; women participate effectively in all aspects of society; and people have a meaningful say in decisions that affect their lives.
Reporting to the Director of Development and working closely with the Executive Director, the Major Gifts Manager is responsible for managing and growing MADRE’s Major Donor program and working collaboratively with the Development and Communications teams to create and implement strategies that result in greater individual giving across all gift levels.
The Major Gifts Manager is skillful in building and managing relationships with a wide range of individuals, including major donors, prospects and colleagues. She/he should be charismatic, creative, organized, and goal oriented; exhibit a high level of professionalism and maturity; display superb written and oral communication skills, including comfort with external relations; demonstrate immaculate attention to detail; and be able to multitask and meet deadlines. A demonstrated passion for women's human rights is essential.
- With Director of Development, establish goals, develop activities and create programming to maintain and grow MADRE's Major Donor program.
- With Director of Development, set annual revenue projections for each major donor and develop and execute plans to manage and grow each relationship, with an emphasis on upgrading donors and securing multi-year commitments.
- Steward, solicit and cultivate a portfolio of major donors, while assisting Director of Development with stewardship and cultivation of additional high net worth supporters and prospects.
- Provide support to MADRE's Executive Director in strategy development, stewardship and solicitation of key major donors.
- Analyze revenue progress and submit monthly reports on $1,000+ giving to the Director of Development; routinely evaluate and adjust strategy based on progress towards established goals.
- Understand MADRE's mission, goals and programming in order to effectively identify, research, monitor, and engage prospective donors; manage and cultivate a pipeline of prospects and lower-level donors for major giving.
- Manage all major donor communications to ensure excellent stewardship of the major donor portfolio; create and execute compelling communications, such as renewal letters, program updates, emails, and proposals for individuals, family foundations and donor advised funds.
- In close coordination with the Communications team, coordinate mail strategy as it relates to outreach to major donors, editing content of mailings as appropriate for major donors and major donor pipeline.
- Participate in Board Development Committee meetings to help guide and support the Committee’s fundraising efforts.
- Creative and independent strategic thinker with ability to proactively develop new ideas, cultivate buy-in with other staff members, and manage implementation and assessment.
- Significant relationship building and proven revenue generation ability.
- Superb interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to work effectively and build relationships with internal and external constituencies, including colleagues, current and prospective donors.
- Superior written and oral communication skills to express MADRE’s mission and goals with clarity, passion and persuasion.
- Advanced knowledge and experience with computer programs that support the Development Office, including Microsoft Office and donor database systems (experience using Salesforce preferred).
- Strong work ethic, evidence of excellent judgement, attention to detail, and demonstrable personal integrity.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of development/fundraising experience with a proven track record of fundraising from individuals and securing major gifts.
- Passionate about MADRE’s mission; committed to teamwork and achieving results.
Salary commensurate with skills and experience.
MADRE is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. People of color, people with disabilities, LGBTIQ people, and women are all especially encouraged to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion.
How to apply:
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and a 1-2 page professional writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please do not call. Include “Manager of Major Gifts” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.