Human Resources Associate
Location: Silver Spring, MD, USA
HIAS seeks a Human Resources Associate to support payroll, onboarding, offboarding and benefits administration. This role will report to the Senior Human Resources Generalist. The ideal candidate is a highly motivated, organized, and driven individual with excellent communication and customer service skills and has an intimate knowledge of human resources.
- Provide support in various day-to-day operations of the Human Resources department, including assisting in the coordination answering the phone and responding to inquiries concerning general personnel policies and benefit plan provisions.
- Maintain personnel data, both paper and electronic, which includes personnel and medical files, as well as administrative records.
- Maintain the timekeeping database, makes corrections as needed, and reviews semi-monthly timesheets; contacts employees and supervisors on timesheet corrections and approvals.
- Assist with payroll processing and benefit auditing.
- Serve as a backup to the HQ Office assistant by answering phones and directing callers to appropriate departments, as necessary.
- Support performance management process
- Respond to employment verifications and reference checks.
- Submits new hire paperwork, creates new hire packets and coordinate new hire HR check-in meetings.
- Assist with employee wellness research and resource development
- Assist with HIASnet updates, as needed.
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Undergraduate degree in Human Resources or related field preferred, but not required.
- 1-3 years of prior experience in a professional environment, Human Resources, Nonprofit Management or Operations preferred.
- Strong project management, time management and customer service skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion at all times.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills with demonstrated ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Desire to learn and ask questions.
- Detail-oriented, independent and reliable.
- Proficient with MS Office Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Some knowledge of Judaism and/or the Jewish community, culture, and issues is a plus.
HIAS is a global Jewish nonprofit organization working across five continents to ensure that refugees and displaced persons are protected. Throughout the United States, we help refugees reunite with families, resettle and become self-sufficient. Guided by our values and history, we help refugees rebuild their lives in safety and security and advocate to ensure that all displaced people are treated with dignity.
HIAS is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. As an equal opportunity employer, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ethnic background, citizenship status, religious creed, sex, gender, sexual orientation, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, familial status, pregnancy, childbirth, age, protected veteran status, political orientation or other legally protected status.
How to apply: