Help us eliminate violence against women and girls. Engage with the Spotlight Initiative
AWID, as part of the Count Me In! Consortium (CMI!) would like to gauge interest of movement partners to engage with the Spotlight Initiative.
To contribute ending all forms of violence against women and girls (VAWG), are you interested in:
- Participating in a reference group for governance and monitoring at a national, regional or global level?
- Applying to be an implementing partner of the UN?
- Applying to receive Spotlight Initiative grants from the UN Trust Fund to end violence against women and women’s funds?
- Advocating to improve the Initiative’s decision making and programme design?
Do you want to engage? Please, let us know how you want to be involved.
What is the Spotlight Initiative?
The Spotlight Initiative is a global, multi-year initiative of the European Union (EU) and the United Nations (UN), focused on eliminating all forms of violence against women and girls (VAWG). With an initial investment of 500 million Euros by the EU, it will deploy targeted, large-scale investments in Asia, Africa, Latin America, the Pacific and the Caribbean. Recipient UN organizations will be responsible for programme implementation over a four year period.
The Spotlight Initiative has been establishing the structure to deliver funds in 2018 in Latin America (through a regional programme and five country programmes: Argentina, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Mexico) and Sub-Saharan Africa (through a regional programme and eight country programmes: Liberia, Mali, Malawi, Mozambique, Niger, Nigeria, Uganda, and Zimbabwe), and subsequently in Asia, the Caribbean, and the Pacific in 2019.
Count Me In! in the Spotlight
AWID, as part of the Count Me In! Consortium (CMI!) has been engaging with the Spotlight Initiative since it was first launched in September 2017. This includes monitoring of developments, feminist analysis of the Initiative’s implementation, and advocacy for participation, transparency and accountability. CMI! submitted recommendations endorsed by hundreds of feminist groups and activists to the Initiative in October 2017, and updated these in May 2018.
CMI!’s engagement is motivated by wanting to ensure that the Spotlight Initiative strengthens feminist movements. At this time, CMI! would like to gauge interest of movement partners to engage with the Spotlight Initiative. Based on responses received, CMI! will create different mailing groups (for different forms of engagement). This will help us exchange relevant information in a timely way with only those who are interested in receiving it; develop joint strategy; and create space for connection and movement building.
Do you want to engage?
- stay informed about developments related to Spotlight;
- advocate with Spotlight at the global/ regional/ national levels;
- serve as focal points for regional/ national feminist mobilisation, information sharing, consultation and advocacy; and/or
- support feminist groups to develop funding proposals for Spotlight regional/ country programmes;
To stay informed, engage with us and complete this form.
Do not hesitate to contact Kellea Miller, from AWID (firstname.lastname@example.org).
We look forward to connecting!