Grants Administration Associate
Location: New York, USA
Organization: The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice
Associate Who We Are
The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice is the only philanthropic organization working exclusively to advance LGBTQI human rights around the globe. We support brilliant and brave grantee partners in the U.S. and internationally who challenge oppression and seed change. We work for racial, economic, social, and gender justice because we all deserve to live our lives freely, without fear, and with dignity.
The first grantmaker to hundreds of organizations, Astraea plays a catalytic role for LGBTQI groups around the world - particularly those led by lesbian and queer women, trans and gender non-conforming folks, intersex people, and people of color. Our grantmaking, capacity building, media and communications, and philanthropic advocacy programs support their work to challenge oppression and claim rights. A proud public foundation and one of the first women’s funds in the world, in our 40 year history we have granted over $39 million to LGBTQI activists and artists.
Part Time (21 Hours Per Week) with benefits
Astraea seeks a committed, collaborative and extremely organized person to join our Program Team as a Grants Management Associate. Working with a dynamic team of 8 people, the Grants Management Associate works to ensure that every one of Astraea’s applicants and grantee partners has a smooth and welcoming experience with our application and grantmaking systems.
The Grants Management Associate (GMA) will work with the Senior Grants Manager and the Associate Director of Programs to support the administration and processing of $3.5 million of grantmaking per year in more than 60 countries, spread across more than 350 grants. The GMA’s work is integral to increasing Astraea’s grantmaking capacity, improving efficiency, and ensuring that Astraea is in line with the field’s best practices. People of color; lesbian, bisexual and queer women; trans and gender non-conforming people; intersex people; and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Primary Responsibilities and Areas of Work:
● Screening “letters of interest” that activist groups submit from around the world, describing their work and their need
● Reading, screening, and completing data entry and legal compliance for grant applications
● Preparing, processing, and tracking grants payments on a weekly basis
- Keeping grants database accurate and up-to-date
● Communicating with grantee partners to follow up on grant documents and financial information
- Working with the Fiscal Team to resolve wire-transfer issues
● Supporting Program Officers and Senior Grants Manager in preparing grants dockets, soliciting references and endorsements, and creating grant reports
● Creating exciting visuals / infographics that reflect our grantmaking data
● Working with our database company and the Senior Grants Manager to move all application and reporting forms online in the first 8 months of 2018
- Supporting grantees with Fiscal Sponsor problems
● Working with the Program Team, and organizational staff at Astraea to uplift our shared vision and values with all grantee and philanthropic partnerships.
● Two years or more of administrative or data-intensive work experience in social justice, human rights and/or philanthropic fields.
● Commitment to and knowledge of issues facing global and/or LGBTQI racial justice and feminist movements
- Interest in public philanthropy and grants management
● Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize when facing multiple and sometimes competing deadlines
● Ability to adapt to new database, data-tracking tools, and protocols
● Excellent analytical and problem solving skills, with a proven track record in developing creative solutions
● Fastidious attention to detail when tracking large amount of complicated data
● Excellent interpersonal skills to manage a wide variety of internal organizational relationships
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
● Fluency in a language common among grantee partners is a strong plus
How to apply:
Please send resume/CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org in .pdf or .dc format or submit via the form on our website by Jan 5, 2018. No phone calls, please. Only applicants being considered for interviews will be contacted.
Astraea is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse (multi-gender, cross-class and multi-racial), collaborative and sustainable work environment. For more information visit www.astraeafoundation.org.