Girls Rights Coordinator, VIVA
Deadline: Until filled
Location: New York, NY, USA
MADRE seeks a dynamic and skilled coordinator with a strong track record of grassroots engagement with adolescent girls and their allies to coordinate the implementation of a VIVA Girls network that furthers girls’ social justice agendas at the local, national, and international levels.
Reporting to the Program Officer for VIVA Girls, the Girls Rights Coordinator is responsible for building platforms and networks that connect, uplift, and strengthen the movement by girls, for girls as well as coordinating opportunities to center the voices and experiences of adolescent girls in spaces where decisions are made about them.
The Girls Rights Coordinator, through the VIVA Girls Network, will accompany VIVA Girls Grantees and Partners to strengthen their individual technical, advocacy, and leadership capacities. This includes facilitating regional convenings for girl-grantees and leaders as well as working closely with our partners and grantees to coordinate and curate a collection of girl-driven priorities that will contribute to larger advocacy initiatives across MADRE’s program areas: Ending Gender Violence, Advancing Climate Justice, and Peacebuilding. The position will also implement other girl-centered special projects including coordinating community-based research and other related work streams.
The ideal Girls Rights candidate is skillful in building and managing relationships with a wide range of individuals, including grassroots partners and colleagues and should be organized and goal-oriented; exhibit a high level of professionalism and maturity; display excellent written and oral communication skills, including comfort with external relations; demonstrate attention to detail, and be able to multitask and meet deadlines. A demonstrated passion for adolescent girls’ and women's human rights is essential.
- In close communication with the Program Officer, VIVA Girls, coordinate the implementation of VIVA Girls regional grantee and learning convenings -- opportunities for our partners across the world to learn more about MADRE and for MADRE to learn with and from new partners about key issues in their communities.
- Engage with VIVA Girls grantees and partners to advance strategies that further VIVA Girls’ grassroots partners’ social justice agendas; including ensuring justice for gender-based violence survivors; advancing the rights of Afro-descendants, Indigenous girls, girls with disabilities and their communities; advancing migrant and refugee rights for girls and LGBTIQ youth.
- Work closely with grantees and partners to strengthen their individual and organizational technical, advocacy, and leadership capacities while documenting the gaps between standard grantmaking systems and a first-time grantees’ experiences with accessing resources and advancing their agendas for social change.
- Implement local/national/international girls’ rights advocacy campaigns in close collaboration with VIVA Girls Partners.
- Prepare written reports, updates and presentations on program progress to share with staff, members, donors, and MADRE board;
- Coordinate with development and communications teams to ensure that an impact-driven and integrated girl-centered advocacy approach runs throughout all of MADRE’s work.
- Conduct research and analysis on adolescent girls’ rights as deemed necessary.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Passionate about MADRE’s mission, committed to teamwork, and achieving results.
- Minimum of 4 years of related work experience, ideally in network development and coordination, movement building and/or organizing and/or advocacy.
- Strong project/event management skills including ability to design work plans, manage multiple tasks and deadlines, and coordinate with multiple stakeholders while maintaining a firm grasp on individual project details.
- Experience working with girls and/or young people at the grassroots.
- Fluency in Arabic/Spanish or French.
- Strong interpersonal skills, demonstrated relationship management experience and acute networking skills.
- Ability and willingness to travel internationally 30% of the time.
- Legally authorized to work in the United States
- Prior experience building cross-cultural partnerships and/or experience working with people from diverse backgrounds and countries is strongly preferred
- A background in gender issues is strongly preferred.
Salary range starts at $55,000 commensurate with skills and experience.
MADRE is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. People of color, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex people, people with disabilities, and people of diverse cultural backgrounds are encouraged to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion.
How to apply:
Email your resume and compelling cover letter to GirlsRightsCoordinator@MADRE.org . Please include “Girls Rights Coordinator -- YOUR NAME” in the subject line. No phone calls please.