Gender Advisor - Volunteer in Nigeria
Location: Calabar, Nigeria
Organization: Cuso International
- Start Date Oct – Nov 2020
- Length of Placement 6 Months
- Language Requirements English Writing Level 5 - Fluent, Reading and Speaking Level 4 - Advanced
- Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
The Volunteer’s Role
Are you passionate about gender equality and reducing discrimination against women? if so, this might be the role for you!
As the Gender Advisor you will work closely with the project team to develop the capacity of local partners to support and strengthen women organizations and movements that advance women's rights, gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls.
Apply to this position and help women to find a safe place and help empower them to overcome past experiences.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Provide technical support for the development of advocacy strategies for target beneficiaries and partners in relation to the project.
- Assess and map gaps in existing knowledge management and learning structures in the organization in line with FIAP-SHARE Action Area 1.
- Work with Country Program Office staff and partners to develop comprehensive processes and systems to create, acquire, capture, share and use knowledge to enable learning in line with the partnership objectives.
- Support the Country Program Office and partner organization in Gender related program development and fundraising strategies.
- Coach and mentor relevant staff of partner organization on the implementation and delivery of Gender Equality and Social Inclusion initiatives.
Essential Academic Qualifications:
- University degree in relevant area (Social Sciences, Gender Studies)
Essential Professional Background:
- Experience in the development of operational plans and strategies.
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training program and in-country orientation (more details below)
- On the ground support through our Cuso International country program office
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Travel and accommodation for the pre-departure training course, in-country orientation, and reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
- Bonus: Additional return flight home or cash in lieu after 12 months of service for volunteers who extend for another 6 months
We ask each volunteer, regardless of placement length, to raise $2,000. All volunteers receive support from Cuso International to help achieve the goal through fundraising. If the volunteer chooses not to fundraise or is unable to achieve the fundraising goal, he/she can make a one-time donation or become a monthly donor to support our work.
How to apply: