Expert on aligning EU Gender Acquis with national legislation
Organization: The Kosovo Women’s Network (KWN)
The Kosovo Women’s Network (KWN) is a network of 113 organizations that supports, protects and promotes the rights and the interests of women and girls throughout Kosovo, regardless of their political beliefs, religion, age, level of education, sexual orientation, and ability. In fall 2014, KWN members adopted a new Strategic Plan for 2015-2018 based on lessons learned and a participatory process to identify needs. KWN’s strategy encompasses five programs: I) Building the Capacity of KWN; II) Women in Politics and Decision-making; III) Women’s Health; IV) Gender-based Violence; and V) Women’s Economic Empowerment. These are KWN’s main focus areas.
About the position:
In relation to KWN’s strategic aim to involve women more in politics and decision-making processes and in the context of Kosovo’s European Union (EU) Accession process, KWN currently is undertaking actions towards “Furthering Gender Equality in Kosovo’s EU Accession Process”, supported by the
Kvinna till Kvinna Foundation. As part of this initiative, KWN seeks an expert to assess the alignment of Kosovo laws and policies with EU directives related to the EU gender acquis. The expert will be contracted to write a policy paper identifying specifically how the EU gender acquis still needs to be transposed and/or aligned with Kosovo law. KWN will use this policy paper to inform its advocacy strategy and follow-up advocacy related to furthering gender equality in relation to Kosovo’s EU Accession Process. KWN staff will support the expert, as needed, throughout the process.
- Assess the extent to which Kosovo law currently has incorporated EU Directives relevant to
- gender equality, including the EU gender acquis
- Identify gaps
- Draft recommended / proposed provisions or legislation for addressing gaps
- More specifically, examine areas in which the Kosovo Law on Labour has yet to meet the standards
- set forth by the EU related to gender equality
- More specifically, examine draft civil code and make recommendations for its enhancement in line
- with the EU gender acquis and the Kosovo context
- Draft a policy paper including the analysis and concrete recommendations deriving from it
- Correspond with KWN team members to discussed proposed recommendations
- Revise the policy paper based on input and comments from KWN team members and partners
Required Skills and Qualifications
- At least a BA degree in law or a closely related field
- Extensive knowledge of EU Law/EU directives, particularly the EU gender acquis
- At least two years of experience with the EU gender acquis, including approximating and transposing
- EU gender acquis into national legislation
- Knowledge of Kosovo law and legislation encouraged, but not required
- Knowledge of Kosovo context encouraged, but not required
How to apply:
Qualified persons interested in this engagement are invited to send their:
CV, Motivation/cover letter highlighting qualifications and capacities for successfully completing this contract. This should include at minimum the following information:
- Who is giving the offer: name, address and telephone no.
- Which item or service is being offered
- During which period of time the service is performed
- Terms and guaranties, if any
- The price and terms of payment, inclusive of all foreseen costs, including bank details if payment is done to a bank account.
- The quotation should also be signed.
A short description of their proposed methodology for this engagement, no longer than one page in length; and Bidders are kindly requested to bear in mind that the Kosovo Women’s Network is a local nongovernmental, non-profit organization that seeks to keep in line with local prices and daily rates.
These documents should be submitted electronically in the English language to Nicole Farnsworth, firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 19:00 on 31 March 2017.