Expat Psychosocial and Trauma Expert (female)
Location: Bujumbura, Burundi
Organization: medica mondiale e.V.
medica mondiale e.V. is a non-governmental organisation based in Cologne, Germany. As a feminist women’s rights and aid organisation medica mondiale supports women and girls in war and crisis zones throughout the world. Through own programmes and in cooperation with local women’s organisations we offer holistic support to women and girl survivors of sexualised and gender-based violence. On the political level, we pro-actively promote women’s rights, call for a rigorous punishment of crimes as well as effective protection, justice and political participation for survivors of violence. Currently medica mondiale is working in Northern Iraq/Kurdistan, in Afghanistan, in Liberia, Sierra Leone, Ivory Coast, in Kosovo, Bosnia and Herzegovina as well as the African Great Lakes Region.
For our Regional Office in Bujumbura, Burundi, we are advertising the position of EXPAT PSYCHOSOCIAL AND TRAUMA EXPERT (female).
medica mondiale has been active in the Great Lakes Region focussing on strengthening independent women’s organisations since 2004. In 2014, a regional office was installed in Bujumbura/ Burundi in order to coordinate medica mondiale’s programmes and projects in Burundi and South Kivu (DRC). The regional office focusses on strengthening local capacities of partner organisations and of psychosocial professionals.
With the offered position, medica mondiale aims to increase regional expertise and the quality of psychosocial work with women and girl survivors of sexualised gender-based violence (SGBV). Work tasks are based on medica mondiale’s stress- and trauma-sensitive approach (STA®). Place of work is at the regional office in Bujumbura, Burundi, and includes regular missions in Burundi and South Kivu (DRC).
Under the direct hierarchical supervision of medica mondiale’s Regional Representative in Bujumbura and in close cooperation with the Head of Trauma Work Department at medica mondiale’s head office in Cologne, Germany, the Psychosocial Consultant will be assigned to carry out the following tasks:
- Monitor and accompany the regional pool of psychosocial experts; provide technical advice and insure the quality of work carried out by the pool
- Draft and implement qualification programmes including trainers’ training based on medica mondiale’s STA®
- Adapt medica mondiale’s trauma work manuals and further means of training supplies on STA® to the regional context
- Conduct training on STA® for trainers of regional health services
- Conduct training for the teams of partner organisations on stress management, self-care, and prevention of burn-out
- Promote the implementation of STA® in the various partner organisations and further institutions that medica mondiale cooperates with
- Further promote the introduction of STA® within partner organisations during follow-up visits, technical advice, and in exchange meetings
- Ensure follow-up and quality monitoring of psychosocial interventions carried out by partner organisations
- Ensure documentation and sharing of good practice
- Report on quality and punctuality of internal and external reports on psychosocial work
- Develop follow-up instruments ensuring the collection of results and quality of work
Experience/knowledge and skills
- University diploma in psychology, pedagogy, or social sciences
- Advanced Training in psychotherapy and/or psychosocial counselling
- A specialisation in psychological trauma is an valuable plus
- A minimum of 3 years of professional experience in psychosocial work with women and girls
- Certified experience in adult education training
- Knowledge of SGBV and psychological trauma in the context of war and/or post-conflict
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in conception and implementation of training including training for trainers
- Knowledge of techniques of awareness raising and advocacy in favour of women and girl survivors of SGBV
- Professional experience in sub-Saharan Africa, preferably in the Great Lakes Region
- Excellent capacity of French and good knowledge of English; knowledge of German would be an extra asset
- Feminist background and a clear commitment to work with a women centred and empowering approach;
- Ability to work in an independent and self-contained way, while maintaining reliable communication and working relations with both the head office, remote staff and partner organisations as well as key actors in the psychosocial field;
- Team spirit;
- Stress-resilient, flexible, courageous;
- Strong communications, interpersonal and inter-cultural skills including negotiation skills.
- 2 year contract, with possibility for extension
- Salary and benefits based on medica mondiale’s salary scale for international assignments
- Insurance coverage
- Coverage of replacement costs
Possible start: 01 October 2019
Closing date: 31 August 2019
How to apply:
Closing date: 31 August 2019
Please e-mail your application (CV, cover letter and references not exceeding 2MB) as well as your salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Further information on our projects can be found on our website: www.medicamondiale.org.