Executive Director - FEMNET
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Organization: The African Women’s Development and Communication Network (FEMNET)
The African Women’s Development and Communication Network (FEMNET) is a feminist, pan-African organization established in 1988 to amplify African women’s voices and advance women’s and girls’ rights and gender equality. As a membership organization, FEMNET is a network of over 600 members, both individuals and women’s rights organizations working across African continent and diaspora to realize gender equality and women and girls’ human rights.
We are currently seeking an exceptional, passionate, dynamic, and gender equality Expert Executive Director to lead our committed and influential network. Reporting to the Board of Directors representing the 5 African sub-regions, the Executive Director will be responsible for providing inspirational and strategic leadership and management. She will lead the Organization in policy influence, work with the staff and the Board to generate the necessary funds and resources and be responsible for sustaining and developing strategic relationships with key stakeholders and partners including FEMNET membership.
The successful candidate will demonstrate significant experience of strategic leadership and operational management, as well as the ability to inspire a talented and dedicated team. She should be a self-identified feminist with excellent interpersonal, stakeholder management and communications skills and is a strong spokesperson and advocate of women’s rights and gender equality at the highest levels regionally and internationally. In addition, she brings credible experience of working with women’s rights organizations and movements in Africa.
Governance, Systems, Policies and Procedures
- Works with Board of Directors in order to develop and fulfil FEMNET mission and strategic goals;
- Supporting and promoting good and effective governance of FEMNET as a Network;
- Work closely with the Board of Directors and support the Board in fulfilling its advisory roles and responsibilities by keeping the Board updated through regular reports and organizing board meetings as required by FEMNET Constitution;
- Act as the Secretary of the Board by ensuring that the minutes of all the Board meetings of the Network are properly recorded, distributed and archives are maintained;
- Facilitate the establishments and operations of relevant board committees;
- Responsible for ensuring the existence, application and operations of systems, policies and procedures including: – Financial, Administration and Human Resource Policies and Strategies, Internal Control System for providing regular management and financial reports for the organization’s stakeholders as may be required;
Organization’s Mission and Strategy
- Organizing and participating in multidisciplinary teams to develop, implement and evaluate strategic plans in order to improve performance standards and organizational effectiveness;
- Leading the development and implementation of FEMNET’s Strategic Goals including leading the development of the next Strategic Plan through effective engagement of FEMNET members, partners and all the key stakeholders;
- Leading, inspiring, recruiting, and retaining a team of committed staff across the organization;
- Managing ethics and legal compliance to impact on colleagues and team members’ attitudes and behaviours;
- Cultivating innovative work life balance and cultivating individual and collective self- care;
- Taking overall responsibility for effective and efficient operation of the FEMNET Secretariat including: Organizational development, program support, technical assistance;
- Ensuring fiscal integrity of the Network through financial reporting, analysis and quality control, and submitting periodic reports to BoD;
- Ensuring external audits are done and comply with relevant internal standards and regulatory requirements;
- Managing the identified key financial and non-financial risks;
Membership strengthening and movement building and Advocacy
- Support the recruitment and retention of a diverse and strong like-minded Organizations to join FEMNET network;
- Facilitating effective collaboration between FEMNET Secretariat and the membership and among the broader women’s movement in Africa and globally;
- Ensure interlinkage and complementarity of the Secretariat’s work and that done by its members;
- Being an inspirational leader and a strong voice advocating for women and girls’ human rights at the highest levels in Africa and internationally;
Resource Mobilization and Sustainability
- Responsible for enhancing FEMNET’s financial sustainability (FS) in order to strengthen FEMNET’s ability to realize its strategic goals in pursuit of the Organization’s mission;
Specific responsibility to the (FS) above, include:
- Working closely with Board members and staff to secure and maintain long-term, flexible and diverse sources of funding to sustain FEMNET’s operations and programmes towards achieving its strategic goals;
- In line with the above maintain good and strong relationships with all FEMNET donors; ensuring accountability and delivery of high impact programmes and lead in implementing the Resource Mobilization Strategy;
Communication and Public Relations
- Maintain and grow FEMNET’s external credibility and high-level external relations with various stakeholders within CSO, AU institutions, UN, media and among FEMNET’s development partners;
- Be the Chief spokesperson of the Organization. In doing so promote and espouse FEMNET’s vision, mission and feminist principles and values that guide its work;
- Internally facilitate open and candid communication among the staff members and Board members;
This role offers a unique opportunity for an individual with a genuine passion and commitment to work for the advancement of Gender Equality and Women and girls’ rights by leading one of the largest and influential pan-African feminist networks in Africa;
Experience, Skills competencies and qualifications:
Candidates will be required to demonstrate at least 7 years’ experience and achievement and qualifications against the majority of the following areas:
- Demonstrate commitment and experience in gender and development and/or women’s human rights organizing in Africa in all of its diversity—including a commitment to African women’s autonomy and choice;
- Demonstrate experience in African women’s human rights advocacy and policy influencing at the regional level in Africa and globally.
- Demonstrate experience in programme/project management, including programme/project conceptualization, development, resource mobilization, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
- Demonstrate experience working in Africa, with a strong understanding of the realities facing the African women and girls in various African countries and regions.
- Demonstrate knowledge of funding landscape for gender equality and ability to mobilize flexible and diverse resources for Women’s rights Organizations working at the regional level.
- Demonstrate ability to network and build strong and strategic partnerships across sectors, regions and levels.
- Strong track-record in Strategic planning, and change management.
- Strong oral and written communication skills to a wide range of audiences at local, regional and international levels
- Must have Bachelor’s degree and Master’s Degree in a relevant field from a recognized university.
- Demonstrated capacity to communicate and work in both English and French.
- Must be willing to travel frequently within Africa and internationally
Personal qualities required:
- A credible and authentic leader who embodies the feminist principles and values
- Open minded, collaborative and excellent listening skills.
- A deep commitment to the mission and values of FEMNET
- Willingness to explore new ideas and directions, while carefully learning from organizational history
- Professional style characterized by accountability, receptivity and transparency.
- Able to establish rapport quickly, deeply and honestly
How to apply:
Interested applicants should send their intent letter accompanied by resume with names and addresses of 3 professional referees (including telephone and e-mail). Applications are by e-mail only, sent to: email@example.com.
Please indicate the reference on the Subject line for the position you are applying for i.e. Executive Director – (Ref: FNT-ED 2018).