Enabling Defenders Facilitator
Deadline: Until filled
Location: Manila, Philippines
Organization: Urgent Action Fund for Women’s Human Rights
Urgent Action Fund for Women’s Human Rights (UAF A&P) has been in existence for 20 years providing protection and support through rapid response grantmaking and other programmes to women human rights defenders at risk worldwide. On 24 October 2017, UAF was launch as a sister fund in Asia and Pacific.
UAF A&P is committed to resource the resilience of women human rights defenders by strengthening and sustaining webs of security and care. Its strategies are multi-faceted and linked to a transformative agenda of achieving social justice, building a solidarity economy and re-imagining cultures, including the culture of giving in Asia-Pacific.
UAF A&P is seeking an Enabling Defenders Facilitator who will be in charge of implementing UAF A&P’s programme on rapid response grantmaking, which provides protection and support for women human rights defenders at risk in Asia Pacific. Specifically, the candidate will be expected to work in collaboration with the UAF A&P team to achieve the following three-year outcomes:
- Increased access of marginalised women human rights defenders at risk by making the grants more accessible in remote and rural areas, among more marginalised defenders such as those differently abled and among activists not familiar with UAF
- Capacity-building to support at least 3 models of 'webs of security and care' to enable women human defenders to remain safe and secure
The Enabling Defenders Facilitator shall report directly to the Lead, Programmes and Innovation and work in collaboration with the rest of UAF A&P’s team.
Outputs expected of the Enabling Defenders Facilitator include:
Rapid Response Grantmaking
- Conduct capacity building activities for UAF A&P grantees to strengthen their webs of safety and care
- Evaluate incoming grant applications from women human rights defenders in Asia and Pacific, which necessitate timely response and information gathering to verify each application
- Seek endorsements for each grant application from UAF A&P’s roster of advisors and keep advisors and applicant informed of the grant application process
- Write analyses on the state of women human rights defenders in the region as well as other reports and documents related to the programme
- Keep abreast of major developments on women’s human rights and human rights, including significant developments affecting women human rights defenders in Asia Pacific
- Conduct assigned outreach and relationship building with advisors and grantees in different countries in Asia Pacific
- Contribute to the development of UAF A&P’s programmes and strategic rapid response grantmaking priorities for Asia and Pacific
Communication & Representation
- Initiate outreach to potential grantees of UAF A&P particularly in remote and rural areas, among more marginalised defenders such as those differently abled and among activists not familiar with UAF
- Expand UAF A&P’s roster of advisors in Asia Pacific through specific outreach to potential advisors particularly from rural and remote areas and among marginalised communities
- Represent UAF A&P in different fora, at public events and/or in mass media
Learning and Impact
- Collaborate with the Change Facilitator to incorporate in the rapid response grantmaking database system a simple, relevant and easy to update monitoring and evaluation system
- Analyze data generated from the monitoring and evaluation system, including quantitative and qualitative data, to inform UAF A&P’s strategic rapid response grantmaking priorities for Asia Pacific
- Develop reports, including stories and related materials and documents to best convey the impact of UAF A&P’s programme on rapid response grantmaking
The ideal candidate should have good political judgment based on prior experience of working on women’s human rights and human rights issues in any of the countries in Asia and Pacific, and should have a solid understanding of critical issues affecting women human rights defenders in the region. S/he should have the capacity to creatively and strategically outreach and forge collaborations with diverse stakeholders at local, national, regional and international levels. S/he should be detail oriented and highly organized with great systems management skills as well as the ability to multi-task and work in a multi-cultural environment. The ideal candidate should be a motivated person with a demonstrated commitment to social justice.
Salary and Benefits
UAF A&P offers competitive compensation, including benefits such as paid leave, insurance and a pension plan. The successful candidate will be offered corresponding relocation benefits to move to Manila, Philippines where UAF A&P’s programme on rapid response grantmaking will be implemented with a team.
UAF A&P is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ethnicity, disability, age, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by law. Women as well as individuals of non-conforming genders are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to apply:
To apply please send a resume and letter of interest with three references to: email@example.com at the earliest date possible. In the letter of interest, the candidate should explain how s/he is best qualified for the post, and how s/he envisions to achieve the expected outcomes.
Applications will be reviewed, and interviews scheduled on a rolling basis, so please submit your application as soon as possible. If the posting is still on the website, consider the position available.
Only short listed applicants will be notified.