Educator Engagement Consultant
Deadline: Until filled
Location: New York City
Organization: Girl Rising
Girl Rising has captured the imaginations of thousands of teachers and students around the world - and now we’re looking to deepen and expand our reach within the US.
Our US Educator Program has enormous potential and we are seeking an Educator Engagement Consultant to join our team and support this expansion.
What is girl rising?
Girl Rising (GR) is a global campaign for girls’ education and empowerment. We use the power of storytelling to change the way the world values girls and girls’ education, and inspire people to dismantle the barriers holding them back.
Our original film, Girl Rising, journeys around the globe to witness the strength of the human spirit and the power of education to change the world. Released in 2013, this powerful film has inspired millions and stands at the heart of our work around the world. Our high profile campaigns shine a spotlight on the issues girls face and catalyze change by motivating people to do their part to dismantle the barriers holding girls back.
We collaborate with partners working across society to reach girls, boys, teachers, parents, and community, corporate and government leaders, providing them with customized media, education and advocacy tools to enhance the effectiveness of their efforts on behalf of girls.
Us educator program & project summary:
Girl Rising believes the hard and soft skills a young person needs to be a positive, active citizen capable of creating a livelihood in today’s world are multi-faceted. Our Educator Program, at the heart of our work in the United States, inspires students to see beyond their borders, value their education, and believe that they have the capacity to change their own lives and the world. This program cultivates gender equality and social justice champions by raising awareness about the significance of girls’ education and inspiring students to be advocates.
The program combines Girl Rising stories with imaginative resources that deepen learning and facilitate civic engagement and youth empowerment— and ultimately help young people develop a sense of personal power, determination, local responsibility, and global citizenship.
Our curricular tools include the Girl Rising film, a free curriculum, and a book for young adults. Explore these tools here.
With the help of the Educator Engagement Consultant, we will expand the reach of the US Educator Program to new teachers, school districts and youth empowerment programs. We will refine and enhance our existing curricular tools and resources for educators. As a result, we will positively impact thousands of additional adolescent boys and girls across the country.
The EE Consultant will develop and implement a teacher engagement strategy, enhance Girl Rising’s current curricular tools, support educators as they use GR’s inspiring media content in their classrooms, and build connections between teachers currently or hoping to get involved with GR.
- Expand Girl Rising’s presence in schools across the country by building connections with networks of educators in the United States and reaching educators, students, and schools from diverse environments
- Design professional development strategy and lead outreach sessions
- Enhance existing educational materials by integrating use of the Girl Rising young adult book into the existing curriculum and researching and recommending new technology tools that enhance student learnings
- Advise on a new web portal for GR educators and build a community of educator mentors invested in the Girl Rising experience, who advise new users
- As part of a final report, develop a list of long-term educator engagement strategies, observations and tangible recommendations to expand and improve the GR Educator Program
The EE Consultant should be deeply committed to educating the next generation of global citizens, have a strong desire to help realize the potential of this small but growing program, and share Girl Rising’s passion and values and dedication to making the world a better place.
The ideal candidate may have started their career in a traditional classroom or nonprofit setting, but also has direct experience working with students and collaborating with stakeholders including networks of educators, administration and schools. Preference given to candidates with experience working in multiple schools or districts.
- A minimum of 3 to 5 years of experience in the classroom with middle and/or high schoolers in the United States
- Experience with curriculum development, both creatively adapting existing curriculum and designing new
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Working knowledge of education innovation and technologies
- Professional development experience
- Fluency in digital platforms including Microsoft Office, Google Drive and social media
- A highly organized, self-starter
- Cultural sensitivity, and an ability to connect easily with new people of diverse backgrounds and in diverse environments
- Able to excel in a fast-paced, innovative and collaborative environment
- Effectively manage projects and time with moderate supervision
Even better if you have:
- Existing experience using the Girl Rising film, book and/or curriculum in the classroom
- First-hand knowledge of Common Core standards and regional nuances in US education systems
- Demonstrated passion for global gender equality and education
- Familiarity with Adobe InDesign (the design program used for the Girl Rising curriculum)
Term of consultation and compensation:
This is an 8 month fixed-term contract with compensation of $2,750/per month. This role requires an anticipated commitment of approximately 20 hours a week, with some travel and occasional night and weekend work required.
Target start date: Monday August 14, 2017.
Girl Rising is headquartered in New York City. Preference may be given to applicants in the NYC area, but remote candidates will be considered.
How to apply:
Applications will be considered on rolling basis. Please send a résumé, a letter of interest briefly outlining projects or experiences that best demonstrate your qualifications for this position, and contact information for three references.
Send your materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Educator Engagement Consultant – (Full Name).” Please attach the requested files in PDF format.
Due to the high volume of applications received, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. You will, however, receive an email confirmation acknowledging receipt of your online application.
Girl Rising/Ten Times Ten, LLC., a wholly owned subsidiary of the Documentary Group, is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider all applicants on the basis of merit regardless of their race, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, or any other protected class under federal, state, and local law.