Director, Prospect Development
Deadline: Until filled
Location: New York, NY, USA
Organization: Planned Parenthood Federation of America
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) seeks a dynamic and effective Director of Prospect Development to lead a team of prospect management and research professionals that support the Principal and Major Gifts team. Reporting to the Senior Director of Strategic Operations, the Director will serve as a key member of the PMG leadership team, and oversee a team of four.
The director will play an integral role in developing cultivation and fundraising strategies for top individual prospects/donors. The person is responsible for the overall coordination and production of information on major donors, for tracking cultivation and solicitation progress, and for prospect identification. The Director will also work closely with Planned Parenthood affiliates participating in the Collaborative Fundraising Program (CFP) to support their major gifts efforts.
- Develop and implement annual and long-term goals and strategies, in collaboration with front line fundraisers and senior development staff.
- Mentor, motivate and coordinate work flow for a team of four staff. Lead the team in their execution of prospect development work at all stages of the donor cultivation cycle for both the PPFA Principal and Major Gifts Team and external clients at Planned Parenthood Affiliates.
- Serve as a thought partner for PPFA senior development leadership on organization wide fundraising activities. Also serve as an advisor to the affiliate Major Gifts Workgroup, providing guidance on industry best practices.
- Under the direction of the VP of Development and in partnership with the Senior Director of the CFP program, directly support all phases of expanding the Collaborative Fundraising Program, including assisting new and potential partners with market analysis, training and onboarding, portfolio set up and other needs as they arise.
- Partner with colleagues in PMG Strategic Operations team, Stewardship, Development Systems and Revenue Operations to ensure department wide policies and procedures align with Principal and Major Gifts team’s habits of work.
- Serve as a member of the PMG Leadership Team and the broader Development Leadership Team.
- Partner with Planned Parenthood Affiliates in the Collaborative Fundraising Program to support an increased focus on major gift fundraising, including support of discovery and qualification activities, portfolio development, pipeline management and research requests.
- Create support mechanisms for the ongoing needs of development officers in their frontline fundraising work, both at PPFA and CFP affiliate partners. Support both the acquisition of new major donors and the upgrading of existing major donors to principal level prospects.
- Lead donor strategy meetings with frontline fundraisers as the organization develops new fundraising priorities.
- Curate portfolios for new and existing staff, and refine discovery and qualification process.
- Oversee team executing the daily prospect management activities, including regular portfolio review meetings and the development of monthly metrics and dashboards.
- 8+ years of experience of directly-related, progressively responsible experience in prospect research and data management and communication.
- Knowledge, skill and ease of use with technology required including familiarity with Microsoft Office software, fundraising database applications and wealth screen tools including commercial on-line databases (e.g. NEXIS, DIALOG, Dow Jones), and Internet resources; Confidence and ability in learning new technologies as needed. Knowledge of Salesforce preferred.
- Excellent written, presentation and communication skills.
- Experience in leading a team, including the development and implementation of a strategic vision and mentoring and motivating staff.
- Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills; results oriented; outstanding organizational skills including strong attention to detail; the ability to multitask and uphold deadlines within tight timeframes, and demonstrated adaptability, flexibility and resourcefulness in setting priorities and managing resources in a fast-paced environment.
- A proactive, creative thinker with independent judgment and initiative.
- A team player with proven ability to develop relationships and work collaboratively within a growing, changing organization.
- Current knowledge of industry trends and useful new approaches, services and tools.
- An optimistic outlook and a flexible, innovative nature.
- Unquestioned integrity and a commitment to the highest ethical standards.
How to apply: