Director, Humanitarian Action and Resilience
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa; Nairobi, Kenya or London, UK
Organization: Action Aid International
The Director, Humanitarian Action and Resilience will lead the delivery of ActionAid’s humanitarian signature, ensuring the organisation’s feminist leadership principles are at the core of its delivery. You will manage the AAI Federation surge funding and capacity while ensuring that this programme is articulated clearly and implemented across the country offices and regions.
As the global leader of the AAI Federation-wide Humanitarian and Resilience Platform, you will bring countries together to design and implement programmes collectively. You will ensure the organisation is visible in all relevant decision making and agenda setting space, while influencing the humanitarian community to shift power towards a more feminist approach and achievement of gender equality and social justice even in humanitarian settings. You will lead your team to support and strengthen AAI members’ capacities to deliver stronger humanitarian responses and build communities’ resilience.
- Lead AAI’s programming at times of major emergencies and support preparedness and resilience building, ensuring AAI’s humanitarian signature, anti-Sexual Harassment, Exploitation and Abuse and safeguarding policies and approaches are implemented.
- evelop global policy positions on specific emergencies and a global humanitarian response.
- Lead on innovation and change by establishing a culture of excellence.
- Ensure all of AAI’s values are integrated into programmes and operations.
- Manage and build the capacity of the International Humanitarian Action and Resilience Team, by assigning clear roles and responsibilities and conducting regular reviews and appraisals to ensure high-quality staff performance.
- Establish and lead “Oversight Groups” to ensure consistent and coordinated responses with the deployment of key support personnel as necessary.
- Ensure effective monitoring, evaluation and learning during and after emergency responses.
- Lead fundraising and resource mobilisation for major emergency responses and key International Humanitarian Action and Resilience global programmes.
- Support and develop the internal AAI Humanitarian and Resilience International Platform for the purpose of collective programme design and implementation.
- Coordinate the Federation’s strategic contribution to movement building, in line with AAI’s humanitarian signature.
- Articulate clear and well-evidenced alternatives that challenge dominant policies and paradigms.
- Represent AAI in relevant external spaces and high-level meetings.
- Liaise with other Global Secretariat Heads to ensure intersectional analysis and collective delivery of AAI’s mission.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience leading humanitarian programming in a multicultural environment.
- A passionate and committed feminist leader.
- Strategic thinker with the ability to challenge dominant paradigms and policies.
- Committed to and familiar with safeguarding approaches including anti-sexual harassment, exploitation, and abuse.
- Excellent advocacy and networking skills with experience of high-level organisational representation.
- Dynamic, participatory leadership style; able to build and inspire high-performing multi-cultural teams.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Experience in fundraising and resource mobilisation.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Another language (French, Spanish, Portuguese or Arabic) is an advantage.
How to apply:
Please prepare your CV (in English) and a motivation letter (one page) that summarises how your profile aligns with the key requirements, skills and abilities of this role. Both files should be submitted as Word documents via this form www.mis.tl/CV.
After submitting your application, you will receive an automated confirmation.
If you do not receive this or have general questions about submitting your application, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org.