Director of Finance and Operations
Deadline: Until filled
Organization: Association for Women's Rights in Development (AWID)
This position will remain open until filled; Review of applications will begin on 15 October 2017.
Women and candidates from historically oppressed groups are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
Overview of Position:
This is a unique opportunity for a seasoned strategic Finance and Operations professional with management and team-building experience eager to work with AWID’s senior leadership and a talented team dedicated to advancing women’s rights and gender justice.
The Director of Finance and Operations reports directly to one of AWID’s Co-Executive Directors and leads a team of approximately four staff members. The Director of Finance and Operations is a member of AWID’s senior management team. They have a key leadership role to play, together with the other Directors, to support the Co-Executive Directors in ensuring that the organisation is efficiently and effectively managed and further developed to pursue AWID’s mission in as sustainable manner as possible. More specifically, the Director of Finance and Operations ensures that the organization meets its legal and fiduciary requirements while effectively managing and safeguarding the organization with regards to funding, finances and risk management.
Established in 1982, AWID’s mission is to support feminist, women’s rights and gender justice movements to thrive, to be a driving force in challenging systems of oppression, and to co-create feminist realities. AWID works globally with a staff of over 45 who are based in 17 countries around the world.
AWID is currently in the final stages of co-developing an ambitious strategic plan to deepen its work and impact during 2018-2022. During this period the organization will focus on co-building feminist realities and dismantling patriarchy at the juncture with corporate power, fundamentalisms and fascisms. To achieve its goals, AWID uses a number of tactics including advocacy, knowledge building, strategic information production and dissemination, online mobilization and media engagement.
- Oversees strategy development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation for AWID’s finance and operations with appropriate delegation to managers and direct reports.
- Actively participate in the leadership of the organization, including participating as an active member of the Directors Team, providing valued input on critical problems, working with others to address programmatic, human resource, financial, legislative issues as they arise to ensure that AWID is effective in achieving its outcomes as well as undertaking itself as a strong feminist organization
- Provide both strategic and operational advice to the Co-Executive Directors and senior leadership team on AWID’s operations in the areas of finance, systems, and IT.
- Provide leadership in ensuring that the relevant policies and practices of AWID are aligned with strategic goals and organizational values and are also able to meet recognized sector standards.
- Oversee the Information Technology Management function at AWID and provide needed support to the IT Manager in achieving relevant goals and objectives.
Essential Values and Competencies
- Value a feminist intersectional framework and its implications for organizational practices
- Focus on the Big Picture and Overall Strategic Framework for Development
- Transparency and Accountability
- Critical thinking and analysis
- Strategic Risk Management
- Build strong Interpersonal relations from the role - across the organization (up, down and across)
- Selecting, Coaching, Appraising & Developing Staff
- Influencing & Resolving Differences Across Boundaries
- Self-awareness and insight
Essential Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Experience
- More than 8 years of experience at a senior level in a similar role with at least 5 years within a non-profit organization.Proven track record managing the financial and operations functions of an international non-profit organization.
- Knowledge of and experience in applying accounting procedures and protocols in budget administration and financial forecasting, analysis and reporting
- Knowledge of finance and accounting regulations in the US (US GAAP) and international auditing standards including experience in preparing for and coordinating financial audits
- Strong donor and funder management experience (including both public and private funders)
- Experience working with diverse communities from multiple identities across the globe, in a virtual environment
Essential Knowledge, Skills, Abilities & Experience
- Completion of a recognized accounting designation such as CA, CGA, CMA
- Experience working in an international organization with offices and staff in multiple countries (working virtually) and managing multiple currencies.
- Courses or certificates in women's/feminist studies, financial management, human resource management and IT.
- Experience of shared leadership models of work
- Knowledge and interest in women’s rights and feminism.
- Prior experience with supervising IT
Ability to travel internationally (approx. 3-4 weeks per year)
How to apply:
Please submit a current CV, along with a cover letter that addresses how you meet the necessary qualifications and outlines why you want to work for an international women’s organization, to email@example.com. Please include ‘Director of Finance and Operations’ in the subject line of the email.
This position will remain open until filled. Review of applications will begin on 15 October 2017.
We thank all those who apply, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. No calls please. diversity in all aspects of its work. To learn more about AWID and our programs, please visit our website at www.awid.org.
AWID is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to developing inclusive, barrier free selection processes and work environments. If contacted in relation to an employment opportunity, please advise AWID of the accommodation measures, if required, which would enable you to be interviewed in a fair and equitable manner. All information received in relation to accommodation measures will be treated in confidence.