Director of Communications
Deadline: Until filled
Location: New York, NY, USA
Organization: MADRE, Inc
MADRE seeks a dynamic, experienced and skilled communications professional with a strong track record of strategic and creative leadership that grows audiences, deepens engagement and shifts narratives and perspectives.
Reporting to the Director of Policy and Strategic Engagement, the Director of Communications is responsible for creating, implementing and evaluating a communications strategy that increases the organization’s visibility and reputation as a leader in international human rights and feminist movements; promotes a compelling and consistent organizational identity; uplifts the voices and perspectives of grassroots women and women-led organizations worldwide; and advances core messages key to our vision of global gender justice.
The Director of Communications will lead MADRE’s work to produce regular and engaging content, and to expand/maintain both internal and external communications platforms (including our website, social media, email program, newsletters, public education, promotional materials, and media outreach). The Director of Communications will provide mentorship, coaching, and supervision to MADRE’s communications team; serve as an integral part of the senior leadership team; and be a key driver in helping MADRE achieve its visibility, audience engagement and growth goals. The position will also work collaboratively with the Development team to strengthen fundraising strategies and organizational branding across our communications platforms.
The ideal candidate is creative, bold, collaborative, strategic, flexible, effective and committed to building narrative power to achieve our social justice goals. The ideal candidate should have outstanding interpersonal skills and effectively deal with a wide range of individuals and groups, including board members, international partners, and colleagues while demonstrating warmth, integrity, and professionalism. The individual must have superb written and oral communication skills, be a strong editor, have immaculate attention to detail, and be focused on achieving results.
- Set goals, objectives, activities and metrics for communications strategy, and anchor systems for team-wide project management and coordination
- Anchor organization’s identity and visibility, regularly evaluate status, propose and implement communications and marketing strategies (across digital and offline platforms) to expand organizational recognition
- Coordinate with stakeholders across the organization and among our partners to establish issue priorities, to inform relevant communications strategy and establish core messaging and branding to reflect those priorities
- Lead communications team: manage work plans, review work products, facilitate professional development and provide mentorship
- Create and manage team budget: set targets, track expenses, and keep an updated budget-to-actual
- Evaluate progress on communications strategy, seek out best practices, and create and review metrics and indicators to assess returns on strategies
- Produce or edit written materials that reflect our organizational vision to key audiences, across a range of styles and publication types, including public education and promotional materials, op-eds, letters to the editor, press releases and web updates.
- Serve as the main editor on all: website content, social media, email, direct mail, newsletters, public education materials, and factsheets
- Build relationships and manage contacts with journalists, editors and other media stakeholders; and provide commentary and place op-eds in target publications
- Generate speaking opportunities, serve as MADRE representative in public events, and provide talking points for key organizational spokespeople to expand our speaking engagements program
- Devise and implement a strategy to expand the profile of the Executive Director and key organizational spokespeople among target audiences
- Manage organizational style guide, and supervise visual branding and promotional projects (from concept to implementation to evaluation), liaising with staff and vendors
- Manage website and online content development, and supervise digital outreach and social media strategy (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Anchor production of branded promotional materials, in coordination with the Development team
- Work with Development team to create and implement fundraising strategy (direct mail, e-appeals, and donor education materials), to coordinate appeals with other communications channels, and to review fundraising and engagement metrics
- Oversee database/storage systems and serve as a resource around the organization’s communications assets, current and archival: written materials, videos, photos
- Anchor outreach and fundraising plan for emergency communications in support of our work with our partner organizations
- Minimum 10 years of non-profit communications experience, including proven leadership and management experience
- Strong commitment to the mission of MADRE and the ability to articulate the vision and work
- Demonstrated ability to develop, foster and sustain relationships, through a highly collaborative style, with an ability to integrate multiple perspectives
- Developed capacity to see both the “forest” and the “trees” - from broad communications strategy to fine-tuned tactics
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to effectively manage a variety of relationships and public speaking ability
- Superior writing and editing skills
- Strong critical thinking, research, and analytical skills
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to juggle multiple tasks, set priorities, effectively manage time and meet deadlines, and proven ability to work under pressure
- Strong knowledge of current trends and opportunities in communications strategy, especially in digital marketing
- Strong technical skills, including familiarity with digital platforms
- Expertise in the content of MADRE's work and familiarity with international women’s human rights and social movements and allies preferred
Salary range begins at $86,000 and is commensurate with experience.
MADRE is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. People of color, people with disabilities, LGBTIQ people, and women are all especially encouraged to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion.
How to apply:
To apply, submit a cover letter, resume and 2-3 references to email@example.com. Include “Communications Director” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.