Director for Africa
Deadline: Until filled
Location: Washington, DC, USA / Dakar, Senegal / Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Organization: International Food Policy Research Institute
The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks an experienced Senior Researcher and Leader to provide intellectual and managerial leadership for its Africa Region Office. This position will be based at either IFPRI’s region office in Dakar, Senegal or Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, or at IFPRI’s headquarters in Washington, D.C., and will require international travel.
The Director for Africa reports to the Director General and serves on the Senior Management Team (SMT) of the Institute. This is a 3-year exempt position, renewable appointment.
IFPRI develops sustainable solutions for ending hunger, malnutrition and poverty in the developing world. It carries out research, capacity strengthening, and policy communications to develop those solutions and to catalyze policy action.
- Provide leadership and guidance for the different areas and capacity building-related activities in the regional office research portfolio and within the broader context of IFPRI’s Strategy.
- Manage the regional office research portfolio by ensuring quality control of research and communication outputs and delivery for all capacity building related activities.
- Mobilize financial resources to ensure that adequate resources are available to support research, capacity building and communication in the Africa region.
- Interact with senior experts during international scientific conferences and with high-level policymakers and stakeholders (researchers, academicians, policy makers, local partners) in the Africa region.
- Design and organize capacity-strengthening programs for different stakeholders in the region.
- Lead regional office staff to reach established strategic goals and ensure staff members are treated in a fair, equitable and supportive manner.
- As a member of the SMT, participate in shaping the overall direction of IFPRI through activities such as setting research priorities, developing short and long-term goals, and developing management policies.
- PhD in Agricultural Economics, Social Science, or closely related field.
- Minimum of twelve years of post-Ph.D research experience on policy issues related to agricultural and rural development with internationally recognized publications.
- At least 10 years of formal/informal management experience.
- Proven track record in raising funds to support research in the areas of food policy, agriculture and rural development.
- Proven expertise in leading collaborative and cross-cutting research.
- Knowledge of and experience working in developing countries and establishing networks among such countries.
- Experience in partnership and collaboration with leading African continental and regional organizations
- Demonstrated research experience in policy analysis and policy recommendations.
- Demonstrated experience in effective interactions in a multicultural setting with other researchers and with policymakers, donors, and civil society, facilitating impact of research & capacity strengthening.
- Excellent leadership and team-building skills.
- Excellent skills in both verbal and written English.
- Willingness and ability to frequently travel internationally.
- Language skills commonly used in the region.
- Strong publication record in international referred journals.
- Familiarity with the Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme.
Physical Demand & Work environment:
- Employee will sit in an upright position for a long period of time with little opportunity to move/ stretch
- Employee will lift between 0-10 pounds
- Employee is required to have close visual acuity to perform activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing computer terminal; extensive reading
How to apply:
Please complete the online application and provide a complete resume, cover letter accompanying the application should describe the candidate’s interest and any experience in these research topics, and 3 references.