Digital Communications Officer
Location: New York, NY, USA
Organization: OutRight Action International
Founded in 1990 and guided by the values of collaboration, depth and feminism, OutRight Action International strives to support lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex and queer (LGBTIQ) people to live safer, healthier, and more empowered lives worldwide. Outright Action International’s vision of change includes policy reform, legal challenges, coalition initiatives, and stronger LGBTI communities worldwide. OutRight currently seeks a Digital Communications Manager. This position is based in our New York office.
The Digital Communications Officer develops and implements digital strategies with a demonstrated impact on growing online communities, proactively advancing the interests of the organization’s policy and programmatic agendas and sharing OutRight’s mission with the world. They are responsible for maintaining the integrity of our online presence and building recognition worldwide for the human rights of LGBTIQ people through social media and other digital platforms. Reporting to the Deputy Executive Director, this person works closely with both staff and LGBTI activists worldwide to engage audiences across varying platforms. The Digital Communications Officer is a key part of the Communications team and must demonstrate initiative, creativity, judgment and a passion for human rights and social justice.
- Along with the Communications team, develop a strategic digital communications and marketing plan that promotes OutRight’s work both in and out of the US.
- Elevate OutRight’s reputation and profile globally, advancing OutRight as a key resource for influential stakeholders internationally.
- Write, edit, proofread and supervise production of digital content employing various strategies (writing, graphics, video) to effectively and passionately tell stories on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Linkedin and more that drive OutRight’s work, raise awareness of threats against LGBTIQ people worldwide and educate the public about our cause.
- Pay astute attention to details and has the ability to proofread and check one’s own work
- Manage Google Ads, Facebooks Ad and Google Analytics to drive traffic and visibility, employ SEO strategies and analyze performance data of organizational social media
- Demonstrate a fluency in OutRight’s values, mission and voice and effectively monitor and respond online in real time to developments impacting LGBTIQ people worldwide.
- Administer and manage OutRight’s website and blog, and collaborate with IT provider to ensure OutRight’s digital data is secure and sound
- Work closely with program and fundraising staff to develop digital assets for program and fundraising purposes
- Create and edit short videos for OutRight and its campaigns.
- Advise staff on digital and social media best practices and analyze OutRight social media metrics in comparison to non-profit peers.
- Ensure that public information about OutRight’s activities is consistently branded, accessible and communicated in OutRight’s voice.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field
- Minimum of four (4) years of experience in a related role, particularly with experience managing social media.
- Excellent organizational, management, writing, and proofreading skills
- A dexterity to work with rapid response, deliberation and consultation in regard to communicating complex issues to diverse audiences.
- Fluency in social media (all platforms), digital marketing and web content strategies and development as tools for social change, and for individual donor cultivation and event promotion
- Strong knowledge of Drupal, Google AdWords, Google Analytics, Facebook Ads, Photoshop, and other web management tools
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- Superior writing and editing skills (in English)
- Proficient photography, filming, lighting, and video editing skills for simple social media posts
- Dedication to accuracy and strategy.
- A political understanding of and/or passion for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex and queer (LGBTIQ) human rights in a global context, as well as the ever-changing means in which media is delivered and consumed
- Facebook Blueprint certification or equivalent is desirable
- Must be willing to register with Facebook (and any other platforms) to run so-called “political ads”
How to apply:
Interested candidates should e-mail a cover letter explaining how your skills and background fit this position, a resume/CV, and a writing sample relevant to the position to email@example.com. Please refer to "Digital Communications Officer" in the subject line.
OutRight Action International is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. People of color and transgender/gender-variant individuals are encouraged to apply. Position is based in New York City and applicants must have authorization to work in the U.S. Qualified candidates will be contacted. Please do not call.