Deadline: Until filled
Location: New York, USA
Organization: Urgent Action Fund for Women’s Human Rights
Centered on a groundbreaking model of rapid response grantmaking, Urgent Action Fund for Women’s Human Rights (UAF) supports courageous women and transgender human rights defenders (WHRDs) around the world. Our model protects and advances the civil, political and social rights of women and LGBTI people, and invests in the resilience of social justice movements, including environmental, feminist, anti-corruption, land rights, youth, and LGBTI movements. Founded in 1997, Urgent Action Fund has grown from a single organization into a network of four independent Sister Funds that collectively support frontline women’s rights activists around the world. With an annual revenue of $4 Million, UAF’s work within this network centers on support for activists and social movements in Central Asia, the Middle East, Western and Eastern Europe, the South Caucuses, and Turkey, Russia, Canada, and the United States.
The Development Manager leads fundraising initiatives and stewards the organizations’ relationships with individual and foundation supporters, especially those based in New York City. They play a vital role in advancing Urgent Action Fund’s work for women’s human rights. This position reports to the Director of Partnerships and also works closely with a Development & Communications Officer and with the Executive Director on outreach to key supporters. The position is based in New York City.
• Develop annual fundraising targets, implement workplans, and monitor, assess, and adjust progress and development strategies.
• Support the Executive Director in her personal outreach, solicitations, and stewardship of donors.
- Steward and cultivate foundation grants and institutional support.
• Manage reporting to foundation donors, supervising the work of grantwriting consultants as needed.
• Participate in the organization’s annual budgeting process, advising on revenue streams and new sources of support.
- Work with the Development & Communications Team on the development of print and online communication materials and online fundraising campaigns, gifts processing and donor stewardship.
- Plan and staff donor events, as needed.
• Share the values of the organization: integrity, feminisms, wellbeing, justice, courage, and mindful engagement.
• Work collaboratively and respectfully with multiple stakeholders including program staff, grantees, donors, Board members, and external consultants.
- Work with attention to detail and sensitivity to confidential information.
• Build relationships that connect others to Urgent Action Fund and that nurture a community of donor-activists.
• Highly driven, energetic, detailed, enjoys a small company atmosphere with lean staffing, has the ability to wear a number of different hats.
- Minimum 5-7+ years of experience with fundraising or development work;
- Experienced in fundraising campaign planning and execution.
• Comfort with and demonstrated interest in outreach to donors, securing meetings, and soliciting gifts.
• Experienced in writing proposals and reports for funders and developing the case for support for social justice or human rights-oriented work.
- Superior communication and interpersonal skills.
- Comfortable working across cultures and time zones.
• Passion for social justice and human rights, including women’s rights and LGBTQI equality.
Job Specifics & Work Environment:
This position is full time (40 hours per week) and is exempt. Position pay range is $80,000 to $97,500 annually, depending on qualifications and experience and includes a strong benefits package (Health, Dental, retirement, Flex Spending for medical and transit). Position location is New York City.
Urgent Action Fund is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices and, in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
How to apply:
Please submit cover letter, and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Development Manager” in the subject line. Cover letters may be addressed to the hiring manager: Caitlin Stanton, Director of Partnerships. Applicants must be eligible to work in the United States. The position is open until filled. No phone calls please.