Deputy Environmental Health Coordinator
Location: Beni, DRC
Organization: International Rescue Committee
Under the direct supervision of the Environmental Health Coordinator, the Deputy Environmental Health Coordinator will provide direct support to EH Managers in the implementation of WASH/IPC related activities with more focus on Infrastructure designs and construction, supervision and capacity building on water quality, hygiene, sanitation and waste management activities in the Triages/temporary isolation units in partnership with the Senior IPC Managers responsible for supervision of patient management, Deputy Health Coordinator and the Health Coordinator. This position will enter the red zone of the Triages and isolation facilities.
Key responsibilities include:
- Contribute and support the EH Coordinator in the design of new programs including the development of new proposals and budgets for the EH/WASH interventions in DRC.
- Support Design and Assessments/studies that are geared towards identifying existing hygiene and sanitation practices, IPC-related risks, barriers to safe practices and priorities in IRC targeted health facilities.
- Working closely with the EH Coordinator and EH field staff, undertake analysis of data/assessment findings to inform on design of WASH/IPC strategies and approaches that are sustainable and in line with standard IPC protocols, SOPs for management of highly infectious diseases and basic health care services.
- Support design and planning of activities geared towards reducing risky IPC practices, with reference to both physical and behavioral aspects at targeted IRC supported health facilities.
- Support EH staff in design, development of BoQs, technical specifications, work schedules and/technical reviews of EH related infrastructure activities (water supply, sanitation, healthcare waste management, Pre-triage facilities, Triage and Isolation facilities) at health supported by IRC.
Staff Supervision & Development
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions.
- Provide support to EH Manager and Officers on work plans, activity Implementation, work and vacation-resting schedules, and staff training/development activities
- Responsible for initial and periodic briefing, and training of staff on IRC IPC SOPs including conducting periodic competency based assessments, documenting and reporting.
Grant Monitoring & Reporting
- Development/maintenance of effective and efficient oversight, support, quality control and data collection processes including weekly review of the indicator tracking systems in collaboration with the M&E Manager.
- Ensure regular field monitoring and modifications as required including contract management of construction contract for related EH activities with EH field staff.
Supply Chain and Finance
- Support in development of EH program budgets through accurate projections of program activities costs and supplies.
- Support development of monthly cash forecasts based on planned activities for submission to Finance timely.
- Support monitoring monthly expenditure on program activities and frequent review of the BvA as appropriate to ensure burn rates are consistent with the work plans set.
- Represent IRC in all IPC/WASH Coordination forums in the IRC program areas when called upon.
- Support Liaison with communities through working with Community engagement Coordinator, local Government health institutions and Facility heads on EH/WASH related issues as well as other agencies operational in IRC operational areas regularly to ensure coordination and effective implementation of activities.
The ideal candidate will have a Civil Engineering or Water Engineering or Environmental Engineering background and experience in Implementing water, sanitation, hygiene and waste management activities in health care settings for highly infectious diseases such as cholera treatment centers and disease-specific treatment units. “Highly desired criteria” include previous work in Triages and isolation facilities, highly contagious area or Level 4 biosafety area, experience working on viral hemorrhagic fevers (Ebola, Lassa, Marburg, etc.) and knowledge of infection control and prevention.
- Excellent understanding of EH issues in emergency situations/contexts and knowledge of emergency standards (Sphere) in health care settings
- Strong leadership, management, planning, analytical, interpersonal, and communication skills;
- Ability to live and work in stressful and insecure environment;
- Excellent initiator, able to manage multiple tasks.
- Able to work under pressure and good at timely decision making.
- Competent in Microsoft Office, and CAD of Infrastructures (ACAD, ArchiCAD etc.)
- Excellent professional approach and strong team building skills.
- Able to fluently communicate in French and also to communicate in English or local language (Kiswahili)
How to apply: