Deputy Country Director - Programs
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
CARE Afghanistan is seeking an experienced, innovative and motivated Deputy Country Director - Program (DCD-P) to provide strategic leadership in the areas of program development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation and ensure that CARE's programs and projects make a significant contribution to reducing poverty and social injustice.
CARE has been working in Afghanistan since 1961 and currently has three main long-term program pillars - (i) Humanitarian Action; (ii) Education & (iii) Resilience. Our impact in Afghanistan is significant. Between July 2018 - June 2019, our programs have brought tangible improvements in the lives of over 850,000 Afghans with a special focus on women and girls.
The DCD-P will be joining CARE’s country team that possesses specialized knowledge in the most relevant, context, and culture-appropriate technical approaches, with solid operational implementation and support service competences.
The successful candidate will meaningfully contribute to and progress CO strategic management decisions and actions resulting from the implementation of the country's business plans. The DCD-P oversees the development, testing, and implementation of new and innovative program strategies and approaches, appropriate for the specific environments in which CARE works.
S/he manages a team of professionals focused on the design, funding, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of programs and projects. S/he must also ensure that systems, capacity/resources, and the right people are in place to ensure the proper management of those projects and programs. The position is demanding and at times requires him/her to lead and manage the program team in situations of high pressure and stress.
The DCD-P is a key member of the Country Office Senior Management Team and as such leads and supports CO initiatives. Additionally, taking on acting Country Director role during external travels/leave, etc. by CD. S/he is responsible for (along with the CD) maintaining good working relationships with host government officials, donors, and other partners.
The operating context in Afghanistan is extremely challenging, which requires a person strong in analysis, swift in action, able to work closely with field-based national staff and the security team to ensure that staff safety is our priority and that CARE supports the safety and security of our partners to the greatest degree possible.
This is an unaccompanied position based in Kabul, Afghanistan with up to 30% travel to the field in locations that are approved for international staff travel. Travel within Kabul city is by armored vehicle only.
International staff live within secured premises at the CARE offices and accommodation is within single-occupancy apartments. Access to restaurants and other external venues is almost completely prohibited due to security conditions, but visits to other NGO/UN compounds are possible. There is a strong R&R system in place. Approved Hostile Environment Awareness Training (HEAT) is compulsory for this position.
Additional Required Qualifications Include:
- Bachelors’ degree in a related field. Master’s degree preferred
- 5 years in senior program management positions in the humanitarian and/or development field with at least 3 years in a hardship and/or conflict post
- Demonstrated experience in leading strategic and operational planning
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills in complex international organisations
- Extensive conceptual skills including development of program strategy
- Demonstrated experience in program design, implementation, and evaluation
- Experience with the management of a diverse workforce
- Fluent English both written and spoken
- Proven experience of mentoring, training, and delegating
- Analytical skills as they relate to business processes
- Excellent interpersonal and team-building skills
- Accomplished facilitator and presenter
- Excellent negotiation skills
**Note: This position will be filled between September 15 and October 15, 2020
How to apply: