Location: Kathmandu, Nepal
Organization: The Women LEAD
The Women LEAD Fellowship in Nepal is a unique opportunity for talented professionals and recent graduates to gain in-depth international field experience. We are seeking a creative professional who is passionate about communicating impact and ready to take initiative on new projects. If you are self-motivated and want to work in an impact-driven and fast-paced nonprofit, apply today!
Women LEAD is a leadership and professional development organization that equips young women and girls with the tools and skills they need to create change in their communities. Our vision is of a better world where women leaders co-create the future. Through our intensive, year-long LEAD Course, we work with 30 diverse, high-potential female students in their final year of high school and provide them with hands-on learning and a deep dive into leadership. Since 2011, we have empowered more than 2,000 female high school students with the skills, support and opportunities needed to become leaders in their schools, communities, and nation.
- The Fellow will receive a monthly living stipend which will cover basic living expenses such as rent, meals and incidentals, local transportation, and other costs incurred during the fellowship.
- Visa fees and return flights are covered by Women LEAD (value est. $3,000).
The Communication Fellow is charged with communicating the impact of WLEAD’s programs and using different platforms—such as writing, photography, video, and design—to amplify the voices of our program participants (“LEADers”) and increase our global support. The Communications Fellow will work closely with the Executive Director and a cross-cultural team to develop and deliver our communications and fundraising strategies, and lead the direction and production of creative content at a critical time of institutional growth. The Fellow will supervise the communications team, including the Outreach & Advocacy Officer and interns/consultants as-needed.
S/he must be a talented and versatile writer, adept at explaining and promoting the importance of our work for a variety of audiences. S/he will bring their own strengths and creativity to the position and must be resourceful and take ownership of their work. An eagerness to learn and advance on the job is essential, as is an ability to adapt in a dynamic environment and excel in new challenges. S/he should have a strong interest in developing his or her own initiatives within the organization. Well-suited candidates should have an interest in using communication as a powerful tool of social change, nonprofit management, and women’s leadership.
Include but are not limited to the following (with flexibility to implement other projects of value and interest):
Content collection and digital production
- Work with the Programs Department to collect information and capture WLEAD’s impact
- Create graphics and other digital content that can be shared on social media channels
- Lead the creation and development of videos
- Photograph programs and edit the photos in Photoshop Camera Raw or other editing software
- Maintain and improve existing archiving systems for photos and videos
- Create original and engaging content for WLEAD’s social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram) and ensure our messaging is consistent across each channel
- Creatively engage our community of 13,000+ supporters and increase the number of members and levels and quality of engagement of our online community
- Write and edit blog posts for Women LEAD’s blog
- Sustain and build upon the Bloggers’ Program for LEADers and alumni
- Work with existing media partners to promote youth-produced pieces and develop new media partnerships to amplify the voices of our LEADers and alumni
- Send out monthly newsletters to Women LEAD Nepal’s mailing list
- Conduct regular website maintenance and update content, liaising with our pro-bono developer to ensure the site portrays a comprehensive picture of the organization
- Monitor site statistics and research and develop new ways to improve engagement and increase site traffic
- Monitor and manage WLEAD’s branding and reputation online, including tracking use of WLEAD’s name
- Support the Executive Director and Board in creating key messaging documents and presentations, publications and materials
- Work closely with staff across Women LEAD to develop program-specific materials as well as fulfilling Women LEAD’s overall marketing needs
- Create marketing materials for fundraising and programmatic purposes
- Coordinate the communications schedule across the entire organization
- Create metrics to evaluate the success of Women LEAD’s online communication channels and implement changes as needed based on those metrics
- Strategize ways to better engage key audiences around events, such as the recruitment for the LEAD Course and annual fundraising campaigns
- Strengthen and expand relationships with international print and electronic media
Experience and qualifications
- A passion for empowering young women to lead change and participate meaningfully in their country’s future
- At least two years of communications experience, with strong research, writing, editing and proofreading skills and exceptional attention to detail
- Photography experience and familiarity with photo editing software (ie. Adobe Photoshop)
- Proven social media abilities in Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, LinkedIn, and Wordpress.
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Computer/online/digital media capabilities—strong computer literacy, including ability to work with Microsoft Office, and web-based software
- Experience with graphic design and using Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
- Proven ability to be flexible, independently manage time, balance and prioritize simultaneous assignments and meet tight deadlines under limited supervision
- Self-motivated with a desire to learn in a cross-cultural context and take initiative
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact professionally with diverse stakeholders
- A Bachelor’s degree in a related field is required, and advanced degree is desirable
- One-year minimum commitment to living and working in Kathmandu, Nepal
- Preferred: Nepali language, international work experience, and experience shooting video footage and using video editing software, such as Adobe Premiere
How to apply:
This is a full-time position with a minimum duration of twelve months. For immediate consideration, send the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use “Communications Fellow - Last Name, First Name” as the subject of your email.
- Cover letter detailing your interest in the position, highlighting relevant experiences and skills;
- Current resume or CV;
- Two non-academic writing samples;
- Samples to any online work, including but not limited to graphic design projects, videos, and photography.
Only complete applications will be reviewed. The application deadline is Friday, April 14th, but early submission is strongly encouraged, as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only shortlisted candidates will be invited to interview.
Women LEAD is an equal opportunity organization—individuals from all ethnicities, backgrounds, abilities, genders, and sexual orientations are encouraged to apply. Come work with us to achieve our vision of women and girls in key leadership positions alongside men!