Deadline: Until filled
Location: New York, NY, USA
Based in our New York City office and supervised by the communications coordinator, the communications associate will be part of a two-person communications team. The communications associate is expected to grow our audiovisual production capacity, specifically producing social-media oriented content, videos and images, as well as enhancing web content and traffic. They will be involved in supporting all communication systems but will primarily lead on internal communications systems.
- Ensure effective internal communications and track communications projects in our internal project management systems (we use G Suites and Asana)
- Produce and edit audiovisual materials, specifically short videos, event flyers and images optimized for social media (we use the Adobe Suite)
- Blast email newsletters and set up alerts and message dissemination through email marketing campaign systems (we use CiviCRM’s Mosaico)
- Copy-edit website content and upload to our website, ensuring consistent and professional formatting, troubleshooting basic HTML issues as needed (we use Drupal)
- Optimize web presence, learning from Google Analytics, implementing search optimization best practices, and coordinating social media to drive traffic and engagement
- Assist in the design and print layout of ESCR-Net flyers, reports and other materials (we use the Adobe Suite)
- Maintain social media accounts, interact with users and work closely with the communications coordinator to develop social media campaigns and assess success (we prioritize Twitter and Facebook)
To grow and be successful in this role, the communications associate is expected to have the following competencies:
- Narrative insight – ability to exercise political judgement and effectively use human rights discourse, while also identifying and embracing strategies that motivate action
- Accountability leadership – ability to hold self and others accountable to commitments, guiding plans forward toward a specific course of action
- Technological savviness – comfort with tackling technical problems and seeking help as appropriate, with a strong commitment to training and developing one’s technical skillset
Solidarity is a skill and practice that is essential to our work.
We value being a member-led network that engages in consensus-building processes, promotes the visibility of our member organizations before our own, and rightfully defers credit to our members. We do the hard work involved in coordinating a participatory network not only because it aligns with our values but also because we believe in its power to achieve systemic change. Everyone in the secretariat, but especially the communications team, is expected to embody and represent this in our work.
- 2-5 years of work as a nonprofit communications professional
- Human rights or social justice campaign/organizing experience
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills in English, including an ability to edit international human rights language
- Oral and written fluency in either Spanish, Arabic or French, one of the other working languages of ESCR-Net
How to apply:
Please email your resume and cover letter to ESCR-Net at email@example.com with a subject line that includes, “communications associate application,” followed by your name.
We urge you to apply as early as possible as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, beginning 23 April 2019.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.